Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBS info

Widdler
    hi

can'y use my TBS in my new tent,It seems that the tension bands don't reach where they are supposed to reach or i have not understood how to use them.
    it is also strange that there are few things on the front of the ten(bucles.etc...)that seem to have no use.is there something worong with this tent??or is this normal?

I assume you've read the pitching instructions.

Have you failed to use the tensioners when pegging out the ends? Any chance of a photo of the bits in question when it's pitched?

have you loosened the bands off so that they reach eachother.

Widdler
    hi guys,thanks for advise i think finally managed but was not that straight forward i have to say + instructions were not explaining this bit very well.

i still have no idea how to use these extra bits that there are on the front,when i have some time and the stops pissing down, i'll send a pix of the bits in question when the tent its pitched.can i attach the pix here somohow??

TBS

Now them.... I have a couple of tents with TBS (out of a whole flippin collection of canvas) But does it really do much? - I mean, I have experience serious wind (other than the obvious) in a whole variety of tents (and continents) and I just dont get it - Oh yes I get the geometry - but can anybody out there say:

'this TBS business is a real humdinger - it stopped my tent from collapse the night of the big windy storm on muckleflugger! (or any particularly windy place)'

- Or is it just a unique selling point dreamed up by the same person who 30 years ago decided a storm lashing on a scout tent was to simply cross over the guy lines!

I am willing to be convinced - just say the word.....

Sorry Sergio I hope your question is answered now that I have started a different direction...

Thanks in anticipation, and with respect to all TBS users.

I always considered that TBS was for those who were foolish enough to pitch side-on to the wind.

We used to "storm lash" patrol tents. There were two good reasons to do it. Firstly, if you'd happened to get a tent which didn't have quite the right set of poles with it the main guys would help to stop the ridge pole falling apart in the middle of the night. Secondly, and more importantly, moving the main guys from the front of the tents reduced the number of times kids ran into or tripped over them,

Good call John

But it is still a 'stop kids falling over, and we've brought the wrong poles lashing'!

Thanks

Goon
    Not sure which tent you've got but I got the spirit 200 lite 2006 model. About the TBS system I've not actually used it but the rings on mine are tied loosely on orange cord so I figured that you knot them to the required length and hook them under the ends of the pole once the tent is erected. I think that the left TBS stap goes on the right end of the pole and visa versa making a criss cross type brace. About the pegging straps I've worked out that the front straps plus one of the sides has a tensioning system where you use two pegs per strap, ie you put a peg through one of the loops then pull the other end of the strap tight and peg that too which helps to keep the fly sheet tight. I can't remember for sure if the back end has this the tensioning system where you use two pegs per stap. Only thing I didn't understand is why only the front pole has the TBS straps but have found out the older models had the TBS on both poles.Hope this helps

Sam

Are you sure about that RHS strap LHS pole thing.

It doesnt seem to offer itself that way.... Surely when the 'big wind' hits the stitching will be stressed in the wrong direction?

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    "I always considered that TBS was for those who were foolish enough to pitch side-on to the wind"

TBS is great for when wind direction changes, we were camping at Glen Brittle in our Vango Equinox 350 with TBS last week and the wind changed every single day we were there. You can't and don't want to move you tunnel tent into the wind every day, especially if its a larger tent and your car camping for a long period.

You shouldn't depend on it so placing your tunnel tent with its back or front into the wind is still essential but TBS can come in handy when wind changes direction or when there is swirling wind.

I'm really surprised that most of the new Vango range doesn't have TBS, big mistake in my opinion making tents with less spec and silly colours. Nothing like a solid grenn Vango with well designed spec IMO.

Sergio, to have a proper look at how all the TBS and other bits of the tent work, best erecting it in the garden and taking out the inner tent, that way you'll see where everything is supposed to go and why. Also whne you pack it away, you are advised to undo all the TBS, I prefer to keep it all attached but loosened, that way theres no complication when you put it up again.

Jamie,

My comment was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. A mate of mine had the old Vango Hurricane with TBS and it was a great tent. The TBS does help to address the biggest flaw of tunnels but I've always preferred semi-geos because they are more tolerant of user stupidity.

Widdler
    i see,i ll have another look at my tent then and i ll let you know!
    other thing that has just come up my mind.i did not get any WARRANTY with the tent,the retailer says that my tent has a lifetime warranty and that if something happens i will just need to contact vangoo with receipt.Would this really be enough to be covered?
    this is the first time that i buy something new of this type and i don't get any cartaceus proof of my warranty so this seems strange to me..

The "Lifetime Waranty" is a standard feature of Vango's, and most other outdoor manufacturer's, products.

Here's the text:

All Vango products are designed and manufactured to exacting standards and are guaranteed to be suitable for the end purpose intended. As part of our ongoing commitment we will guarantee for the lifetime of the product, that should this product fail during normal usage as a result of a component, material or manufacturing fault, excluding fair wear and tear (which includes colour fading), then the product will be repaired or replaced at our expense and discretion. This guarantee is only valid when products are used for recreational purposes, which do not include commercial usage i.e. hiring, use by outdoor centres etc.
    Repairs to damage caused by accident, improper care, use in inappropriate conditions, normal wear and tear will be carried out where possible at a reasonable charge. Please ensure that all products are clean and dry prior to being returned, as failure to do so may result in the product being returned to you un-inspected, which may in turn impact upon any warranty claim.
    No consequential loss may be claimed under this guarantee. This guarantee in no way affects your statutory rights.
    If you think your product is faulty then you should first contact the stockist from whom the product was purchased. They should then consult with us, if necessary, to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

There's not actually anything in there that isn't covered by the Sale of Goods Act anyway so the only real benefit is potential recourse to Vango if your supplier goes bust.

The key point is that "lifetime" is the product's lifetime, not yours.

Purely anecdotal - but I doubt if Vango will be all that interestsed in a receipt. It is their product - you own it they warranty it - They dont even seem to want product registration.... That seems like pretty good empowerment for the user I would say!

Goon
    In reply to fossil's question, no I'm not 100% sure about the right strap going on the left side of the pole, After much thought I just assumed this would be stronger if criss crossed, plus the cords on mine are quite long. I think which ever way you do it would put stress on the stitching. Would be interesting to here how others set it up.

i have a vango tempest 200 and there is a picture showing the tbs system and it does not criss cross

Goon
    Fair enough, I'll take it that the TBS isn't meant to be criss crossed. I'm in the lakes soon so will try it out. An other thing is that if it had a sliding adjuster such like guide ropes have you could hook it under the pole then tighten it up, but becuase it doesn't it seems you have to struggle to hook it under the pole

Sam - thats odd...

Mine does have an adjuster! a little black knobbly thing that sits in the TBS bag that hangs from the fly-sheet - have another look.

The TBS isn't actually attached to the pole - but you know that anyway - so please be careful with the cris-cros thing, if you are broadside on to half a gale of wind you might hear a distinct sound of ripping nylon as you put the stitching into reverse gear!

Goon
    Hi Fossil,
    I've just unpacked my tent on the kitchen floor and took the TBS system out of the little bag and it looks like this.
    There are two black ribbons with one end sewn direct to the fly and the other end sewn onto a black plastic thingy with holes. The orange cord passes through one hole and back through the other creating a kind of guide rope slider but is tied with a simple knot which means the orange cord doesn't move. I think i need to undo the knott where the cord attaches to the black plastic thingy then the cord can move but also grips the cord if you try pull it.
    Regarding the other end of the cord with the metal ring, I presume once the tent is erected you then hook the ring under the end of the pole as I cant see how else it would attach to anywhere. Can you confirm as you seem to know alot more than me about the TBS?