Thread: Which Section of the Rivery Wye?

Widdler
    No reponse from "starting out", so thought i'd re-post here.

We are going to do a 3 day canoe trip on the river wye this summer, i wonder i anyone could advise on which stretch is best -

Glasbury to Byford (ish)

or Hereford to Ross/Symonds Yat etc.

We're looking for an easy paddle (read - float), and as empty a river as possible, camping (with pubs?) on the way.

I've been reading the web all day and can't make a decision. I have experience but the front paddler hasn't.

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    You won't find much of the navigable Wye empty in good weather, there are just too many companies cashing in on the popularity of the sport.

My favourite stretch is the bit between Kearne Bridge and Symmonds Yat.

The Quietest bit has to be the Lower Wye between Monmouth and Chepstow, but beware, this bit is tidal and VERY muddy, so few places to land!

And some rapids just below Monmouth make is not Navigable for anyone other than experienced canoeists!

Goon
    You can camp right by the river in very pleasant fields at Welsh Bicknor youth hostel, there is even a small stone jetty and a good grassy ramp up to the campsite. And there are also two tipis that you can hire. But site can get busy (and noisy) with canoeists, so best to book ahead I think in mid summer.

Widdler
    Thanks for the responses. Good to have a few more ideas.

Camp at the Holly Bush pub on Friday night. Put in behind the campsite on Saturday morning and paddle to Byford. The farm campsite at Byford now has facilities....showers and real toilets, much better than the old tap in a corner of the orchard! Shoot Monnington falls (What's happened to Monnington? The standing waves are all gone now!) just downstream of the campsite and paddle on to Hereford or further to Lucks'all campsite on Sunday. For a third day, Lucks'all to Symmonds Yat is a nice section. You can pull up for lunch on a shingle bank under Yat Rock and watch the peregrine falcons terrorising the local jackdaws and rock doves. Yat rapids are fun for intermediates and beginners alike. You will see other paddlers, usually open boaters and "rafters" (oil drum-type "rafts") along the way, but you will also experience plenty of peace and tranquility.

Most anglers also seem to be half-human on the Wye. Some even say "Hello"......