Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: outdoor brands from the past

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

I always though that "Whillans" was a type of harness and not a brand name.

I only say that because I seem to remember our rescue group purchasing Troll "whillans" sit harnesses in the 80s!

Chris - I have no idea what make my pack was for a long-distance walk I did over four weeks when I was 16. It was a shapeless canvas thing with a steel frame. The frame snapped after only a couple of days, so the rest of the time I had this thing like a dagger stuck in my back! My tent alone weighed 12lbs (dry) and had a window with a curtain. My cotton sleeping bag was a hand-me-down from an uncle. It was cotton, filled with kapok, and it was rotting inside and stunk to high heaven. Whenever it rained, my pack just got heavier and heavier, but to this day I have no idea how many tons it weighed!

Just got it out. It says:

"Whillans" sit harness.
    Designed by Don Whillans and manufactured by Troll Products. I didn't imagine for one moment that Don would sit at home making them himself ;o)

But they are universally known as "Whillans sit harnesses" not Troll Whillans sit harnesses

Ours is from the late 1970s and I wouldn't dare to use it now but we'd never part with it.

‹bermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar
    Paddy I had a smilar pack in the mid 70s, and I shudder to think of the thing now. It weighed loads, as uncomfortable as it could be deliberately designed to be, and best remembered as a large shapeless sack with scaffold support.

Now Daisy Root boots......that takes me back - first pair of "real" boots I ever bought in 1976 (ish) for around £11.
    Much better than the £4 army surplus ex WD boots used until then (stuffed with newspaper for comfort fit)

I tried to wear the DRs a few years later after a bit of a lay-off from walking.
    I blistered to buggery and had to throw them in the end as the footbeds and my feet just couldn't agree.

Now what about the pvc cagoule?

I clambered up Harrision Stickle from Stickle tarn early one hot Sunday morning in the mid 80s, with a fullish backpack after a wildcamp.

Clammy did not begin to describe the state of my clothing by the time I got to the top.

But durable - I've still got it. It now hangs on a coatstand at work (who's going to pinch one of these?)to use for lunchbreak deluges and its still 100% waterproof.

Well on the outside at least.

Makes me wonder why we even bother comparing modern gear these days, its all light years away from what we put up with then
    ;-)

Tony - named after Don Whillans I think. Jim Perrin's excellent book "The Villain: The life of Don Whillans" has a bit on it.

To quote Wikepedia
    "He also designed mountaineering equipment, including the "Whillans Harness", once described as designed to safely transport beer-guts to great height, and the "Whillans-box" expedition tent"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Whillans

Yes, that is what I mean, designed by Don Whillans but manufactured by Troll and others. It is a "type" of harness much copied by many manufacturers, particularly for caving usage because of it's simplicity and lack of bulkiness!

So a "Whillans Sit-harness" is a "type" of harness and not a brand name!

Paddy, my first sleeping bag was a kapok filled one with a cotton top and a rubberised cotton waterproof base. It always seemed to be damp! On my first long distance walk - the Pennine Way - I borrowed a friends down bag (Blacks Romsdall), which was a revelation although it weighed about 4lbs.

I had a Whillans Sit Harness at the end of the 70s too. It's still in a cupboard somewhere.

Just had a look in the cupboard. Resin Rose rock climbing shoes/boots. How did i ever get my feet in them!

I'm surprised any of us are still around to tell these tales!

As a schoolkid I recall one teacher telling us to visit a certain shoe shop where they sold cheap Czecho boots. As for the PVC cagoule, I had the trousers too, but got them sucked off my legs in a bog on Great Shunner Fell. Every time I cross Great Shunner, I scan the boggy bits looking out for any flashes of yellow!

Things started to look up for me and my pals when we discovered that one of our number had an uncle working for Karrimor. We put in our orders for this guy to get them at a hefty discount, but I guess we overdid it, because questions were asked about the sheer volume that the guy was shifting!

I wore cheap Czech work boots on school hill walks, and then some cheap suede Spanish Fell Boots. I had a cotton anorak with a yellow lining. If it rained we got wet. We carried no spare clothing, always leaving it on the bus to change into when we got back. On these school trips I did the Snowdonia Horseshoe, went up Scafell Pike from Langdale and back, crossed Kinder Scout and traversed Fairfield from Grasmere to Patterdale in snow.

My first "waterproof" was a cheap Famous Army Stores cagoule that leaked through the seams. I replaced this with a heavy bombproof Henri-Lloyd Patagonia cagoule made from 8oz neoprene. No moisture got in and none got out.

Dunloproof!

Waterproof fabric for walkers with a rubberwear fetish!

You couldn't get hotter and stickier if you wore rubber tyres!

what was the rucksack brand with the bear on the logo called?

dubin great stuff.

camping gaz stoves which came in a blue biscuit tin .

100% wool socks

Ah "Dubin" - now that brings back memories!

Rolo - you mean Cobmaster?

You are not alone

Saw one down the car boot sale last month. Still looked like it was made of cardboard and old tin painted gold
    ;-)

Tony - yep I see what you meant now

To be pedantic, with the Whillans Sit Harness, the brand name was Troll, the model name Whillans Sit Harness. It was a specific model and not just a "type". Copies were copies and not the real thing.

Anyone remember Point Five? In the 70s the company made down sleeping bags as good then as Rab, ME and PHD are now. My first decent sleeping bag was a Point Five Orion, which weighed a touch over 2lbs.

I'm still using a waterproof jacket that my mam bought in the seventies from Ultimate Equipment, to do it credit it is still pretty waterproof and as breathable as can be expected from a jacket of that vintage I think it weighs about 590g, though. Got my eye on a Montane Atomic now...

cobmaster thats the one, i was in a outdoor store in ireland last year and they still had on in stock,

jo brown rucksack

terrain boots,

my first outdoor shirt was a sprayway cotton check shirt.

itchy red wool balaclava

Anyone remember the Ivan Cumberpatch postcards of the 1970s? Big burly walkers toting massive packs up impossibly steep mountains, or crammed into tiny, leaky tents. Always seemed to be bad weather in those postcards, and you were guaranteed to spot an empty tin can littering one corner of the drawing. The strangest thing was... you actually used to meet walkers who looked like those cartoons!

camp uno wood ice axes.

north cape gashbrum pile jacket with patchs on the shoulders.

brasher boots which were made in kendal,not any more.