Thread: Peak District Wild Camp

Mini Goon
    I'm sure lots of you have your personal wild camp spots but is anyone willing to share some locations for a novice. Somewhere mid to North Dark Peak.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi WB. Camping site with free route suggestion thrown in. The site is near White Stones, about 500m due north of Bleaklow Stones. A nice weekend walk is to park near Ladybower on the A57 ( or train it to Bamford ! ), walk along Derwent Edge to Back Tor. Drop down to the Derwent. Follow it north then cut NW to the "shooting cabins" on Ronksley Moor - a passable bothy if pushed. Over Round Hill, Barrow Stones, to Bleaklow Stones, then north to the obvious grassy area. In dry weather you may need to walk a bit to get water. I started about 11.15 and pitched at 6.30 after some gentle walking. By that time there should be on one around - you certainly won't see any farmers ( it's about 550m up ). And the National Park wardens should have gone home for tea. You'll need to get off early in the morning though. Here's a pic of the tent up with the stones in the back ground.
    I returned by the obvious route: down "The Ridge", above Alport Castles ( when you get to the end of the dry stone wall, go 5 paces west for a lovely photo op of the Castles ), past Crook Hill and back to the road. There are a lot of varients possible around this idea.

I have done this from memory so apologies for the lack of references etc, but I hope it helps.

Mini Goon
    Thank you so much Simon - just off now to buy an OS Explorer.

kindest regards

No problem. If you're new to the Peak District, drop me an email and I'll pass on what I know about good and poor paths and some other possible camp sites.

To be honest I havent wild camped before either so any onsite advice would be helpful. I am aware of the importance of telling people where I am but it is more the practicalities 'in the field'.

One thing that springs to mind, assuming you're driving, and I will be, where would you generally speaking, park your car?

Thank you.

Edit; any grid references can be mailed - thanks in advance.

Mini Goon
    Thanks,got my explorer map looks good. Like PaulRun26 though car parking could be a problem.

WB42 / PR26 - I'm confused. Anyway. Parking, there is a big lay-by just to the east of the Ladybower bridge on the A52. Tips, assuming that you have camped before then I don't think that you'll find too much difference. Avoid anything which looks like a rough weather forecast if you're planning on camping high. The route above should be suitable for a first timer - it's what I used it for; my first camping trip for 25 years before trying it out in Scotland. ) There is a lot of sound advice on other threads on this site. Also you could try looking here, here or here.

Confused - me too. I think I might have highjacked the thread. However, looks like a possible OM mini-meet for virgin wild campers. Watch this space.

Thank you Simon.

Edit: My only problem is abandoning my car. I don't want it either broken into or stolen.

Car. Yes, that's always a worry. I've left mine there before, but that doesn't mean a lot. You could park at the visitor centre at SK173894. Pay and display and not supervised overnight, but rather more secluded than parking on the A57. You would need to rejig the walk, but that could be done without missing any highlights.

"By that time there should be no one around - you certainly won't see any farmers ( it's about 550m up )."

You may however bump into an angry gamekeeper or two, and dont camp there on July the 12th!!!

Wayne - good point. Or plan on walking in the area in the shooting season without checking that the moors you want to walk on are open.

Wayne, whats going on on July 12th then? I was planning a wild camp on Bleaklow on July 13th, will it still be affected?

Start of grouse shooting isnt it? or is that August?

Widdler
    Going off the subject a bit chaps..we are walking kinder and mam tour from thurs thru sat what are the conditions up there at the moment ground wise

Grouse shooting season starts 12 August.

Smurphy

its wet and boggy! with more rain to come

Widdler
    Thanks wayne, hoping it had missed the worst.

I believe Peak District National Park Authority do draw a difference between pitching your tent outside of campsites (not allowed) and bivvying.

I was over @ Millstone Quarry, on Sat pm, & saw people dragging their tents into the bays beneath the crag, at dusk, so this could be a quick option, parking either safely in Hathersage, with a big walk up the hill, or in the Surprise view car park, beneath Mother cap ???

what does evryone think about wild camping on kinderscout? is it a good idea?