Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food and cooking

What food do you guys take on camping trips? Only one or two nights long.

I'm used to army rations so I'm thinking along the lines of a boil-in-the-bag type of meal at the moment, but civvi ones (and even army rat packs) seem to be so expensive.

I've got a small gas stove and mess tins/metal mug.

Bear in mind it's all got to fit in one backpack alond with all my other gear...

I saw someone post on here about those complan packs - are they a good enough replacement for a meal?

Cheers for any advice,
    Matt

Ultra King
    Don't take Reiter travellunch, it's pretty awful.

I've recently discovered Smash Cheese and Onion Flavour. A 107g pack will fill a very hungry person. Add some smoked sausage and whatever else you can find and one packet will do 2 meals.

I tend to take the real meals expedition foods with me you just add water, leave for a bit and they are done, pretty tasty, no nasty additives and nice and light.

for breakfast i mix alpen with milkpowder then just add water to the bag when i want to eat it.

For lunch on the first day i usually take sarnies or wraps then on the 2nd day either pasta or noodles that you just need to add water too.

Uncle Bens Quick Cook rice (can't remember the proper name for it, but it's something like that).

Cooks in 3 minutes, comes in a huge variety of flavours and you can add anything you want to it. Yum!

Have a look at
    http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/ . It is an American site, so the products mentioned might not always be available over here, but the approach will work here just as well and let you eat well at normal food shop prices rather than "outdoor product" prices.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    The Uncle Bens stuff Oot talks about is great, I mix it with a tin of fish and its great, the rice comes in many flavours aswell which really helps with the taste.

I like Bacon or Chicken flavoured noodles as there so cheap at about 9p a packet in Tesco and rediculously lightweight. Add dried tomatoes and mushrooms to them and some peporami or similar. Also adding croutons helps with texture. All these things you can get in Tesco.

I lurve Double Deckers too, I need that satisfying sugar rush when wild camping or backpacking and find these good balance of weight for what they give me.

Widdler
    Quick cook rice, dried quick cook noodles (or pot noodle rebagged not in the plastic container), dried pasta and my favourite at the moment... quick cook cous cous... comes in loads of flavours.
    If you want to go artic rations sytle then just add dried mushrooms, pine kernels etc in advance.

IS this uncle besnt stuff theone that coems in a bag with little holes and you jsut put it in a pan for a few mins and when done open the bag and feast. Good stuff that, dead easy. Bascially when it coems to camp food the less water the better really. Pasta, noodles, rice, anything dry and full of carb is spot on. And then whatever you want for flavour. Wish I was ray mears, could go off without even taking food then!

No Gregory, it's not like that. It comes in a plastic pouch. You boil a small amount of water and pour the contents into it. Takes 3 mins to heat up and absorb the water.

Even better then. Ill have to look into that, is it partially hydrated already?

Yep, it literally requires a few spoons of water if I remember correctly.

It's called Uncle Ben's Express. The stuff I like is called golden vegetable rice and it has peas and peppers etc. mixed in. It literally takes 2 - 3 mins to cook in 30ml (2 tablespoons) of water. 1 sachet weighs 250g and contains about 375 calories. It tastes great too!

Thats whats coming with me on the next trip then! Suppose it keeps well too

I saw someone post on here about those complan packs - are they a good enough replacement for a meal?

IMHO, I would say no. Fine for emergencies perhaps, but they certainly don't fill you up and you miss out on having some hot food inside you

Sometimes I also carry a sachet of Dolminos express pasta. Cooks just the same as the rice and tastes lovely as well. A bit heavy though, as it is partially hydrated - 220g for 308 calories because you will want a sauce as well.

Sausages are great to eat on the first day with pitta bread or something - I find that you don't need to grease the pan or anything if you cut them in half - they cook much quicker too.

Also for breakfast, rather than Alpen or Museli, I have Jordan's Country Crisp which is quite expensive but tastes far better, has a huge amount of calories and comes with dried strawberries or rasberries or nuts etc. I reckon on 100g per day with powdered milk. If it is a cold morning, I sometimes heat the milk up on the stove first and that is quite nice.

For snacks I have Geobar cereal bars. These are great, they have 131 calories per bar, taste good and are fairtrade. Sometimes they are easier to get at Oxfam. I also like a nut and seed mix that's sold in Sainsburys. It's called 'You Are What You Eat' comes in a resealble pack that actually does stay shut is completly organic weighs 100g (I have 50g per day at lunch) and contains 522 calories per 100g serving. It cost £1

That nut mix sounds awesome! That will sure keep you going. I find it annyoing how now msot foods aim to be low in calories for all the fat couch potatoes around to much on all day without guilt. Food that has a decent bit of energy in it is getting harder to come by. Stupid fat people lol

It always makes me laugh when I think that most people work out their diets based on as few calories as possible and I can't get enough of them! I think it would be far better if people who want to lose weight excercise rather than diet. In his Advanced Backpackers Handbook, Chris Townsend reckons we need 4000 - 5000 calories per day, more than double the normal recommended amount and I think he's right too, I've never heard of anyone coming back from a backpacking trip that's put on weight.

Thats very true. I can consume way mroe then the RDA easily and dont put weight on jsut on a day to day basis. I get so hungry on the hills. On high altitude and arctic expeditions there is a crazy reccomended calorie intake, cant remember what it is but they just eat this lightweight stuff, thats wrapped in thin plastic that burns easy, it looks like mintcake and alogn with a vitamin supplement people go for months on this stuff. I dont think it tastes anythign special but is jsut full of calories. I would prefer mintcake! Or maybe some lembas bread from the elves. Thats stuff would be spot on too

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    As well as the Uncle Ben stuff the Ainsley Harriott cous-cous range is light, low-bulk and tasty, and you can add stuff to it to vary. It's available in Sainsbury's. I just find the rice/couscous diet a bit wearying, someone needs to invent tasty powdered pasta!