Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing books

Interesting replies all - great to see such a range of writing experience within OM.

Paddy - you are the "richest" person on the forum. It's a fine achievement to craft a profession out of something you really love doing. BTW - are your projects commissioned or do you make up the ideas, write the walk and then pitch it to publishers ?

Andy - A man of many talents ! Surely there must be a book on lightweight camping brewing within you ?

Ecco - if it's a guidebook project, then I won't leave home until I have a contract in my hand. The 'ideas' for projects can either come from me or from a publisher, and if we both agree it's a good idea, then off I go. If one of us says no, then it's a 'no-go' and I find something else to do.

Having said that, there are lots of walks that I cover just for 'fun', then later make a pitch to a publisher or editor about them, but I wouldn't start writing anything with a view to pitching it afterwards.

That's the sign of a professional Paddy! To quote Samuel Johnson: "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money".:-) After any walk I wonder who I can pitch it to for a book or article. Of course the walking is always done for pleasure even if it's already "work".

Work / Walk - as far as I'm concerned, they're freely interchangable words.

Eg: I walk hard for a living!

You have to be careful with those words though. I once nearly got thrown out of the USA because of them. I was going through immigration in Los Angeles airport and the immigration officer asked what I was going to do in the US. I said "walking". He heard "working" and started querying me about a work permit. I now go hiking in the USA.

Heh heh Chris!

I heard about an English guy who described himself as a "clerk", which to the US immigration officer sounded like "clock". He queried this, and the English guy attempted to clarify by saying he was an "office clerk". The officer flipped and said "So you hang around on the wall going tick-tock all day?"

I have "writer" on my passport. I've been asked a few times at immigration what I write. I say "outdoor books" and am waved through. Best not to be a journalist though. I've been asked if I am a journalist in tones that suggest that if I am I'm in trouble.

There's no occupation listed on my passport, but if I'm asked, I say "outdoor writer" and let them make their own conclusions. Sometimes I've been asked "Do you write IN the outdoors, or ABOUT the outdoors?" to which I reply "Yes!" Some years ago when I went on a short trip to Tibet, my occupation was listed on a group visa as "clerk", on the grounds I wouldn't have got in as any kind of "writer". All the same, I was photographed alongside a secret policeman (for height comparison I guess), but that may have been because they'd identified me as "gloop leader".

Hey, fellas! I have a question for you - how to write a movie review? Anyone?