Thread: Alpkit self-inflating mat issues

Mini Goon

Question Alpkit self-inflating mat issues

Has anyone had issues with Alpkit products, particularly the self-inflating mats?

I've had four out of four faulty mats. The first leaked air through the material (after Alpkit had insisted there must be a puncture when I couldn't find one) and three have developed large bubbles. None have self-inflated (the most recent one did for a bit, and I'd thought the self-inflation was a gimmick until then).

After the first popped (waking me up in the night), Alpkit told me to make sure the mat isn't subject to large temperature changes when it's inflated (i.e. leaving it with the valve closed in a tent during a warm day). I bought a replacement at my own expense as I'd owned it for about two years, but the replacement bubbled up within a few days.

Are these bubbles common with self-inflating mats? Does anyone know why they happen? I don't inflate the mats all the way, so I can't see how there would be enough pressure increase in normal temperatures.

It's all well and good sending replacements, but that doesn't account for the hours of lost sleep and my time the issues have wasted.

I've used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir for a few years without issues, so if their self-inflating mats are reliable I'll go there for an Alpkit replacement.

I've had a few faulty Alpkit walking poles - one fell apart after about a mile on soft grass and the others didn't get much more use. I also had a merino shirt with a faulty seam (right at the start of a three-week holiday), though the replacement has been fine.

I'm pretty sure Alpkit wouldn't be in business if they were this bad, and I must have been very unlucky? Even being very unlucky, it's a ridiculous amount of faulty products. It's prevented me from trying other products of there's, but maybe they should stop selling to me anyway!

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlex View Post
    Has anyone had issues with Alpkit products, particularly the self-inflating mats?

I've had four out of four faulty mats. The first leaked air through the material (after Alpkit had insisted there must be a puncture when I couldn't find one) and three have developed large bubbles. None have self-inflated (the most recent one did for a bit, and I'd thought the self-inflation was a gimmick until then).

After the first popped (waking me up in the night), Alpkit told me to make sure the mat isn't subject to large temperature changes when it's inflated (i.e. leaving it with the valve closed in a tent during a warm day). I bought a replacement at my own expense as I'd owned it for about two years, but the replacement bubbled up within a few days.

Are these bubbles common with self-inflating mats? Does anyone know why they happen? I don't inflate the mats all the way, so I can't see how there would be enough pressure increase in normal temperatures.

It's all well and good sending replacements, but that doesn't account for the hours of lost sleep and my time the issues have wasted.

I've used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir for a few years without issues, so if their self-inflating mats are reliable I'll go there for an Alpkit replacement.

I've had a few faulty Alpkit walking poles - one fell apart after about a mile on soft grass and the others didn't get much more use. I also had a merino shirt with a faulty seam (right at the start of a three-week holiday), though the replacement has been fine.

I'm pretty sure Alpkit wouldn't be in business if they were this bad, and I must have been very unlucky? Even being very unlucky, it's a ridiculous amount of faulty products. It's prevented me from trying other products of there's, but maybe they should stop selling to me anyway!
    No, bubble like that are not common in quality mats.

Like a lot of their kit I suspect it's just rebranded Chinese stuff. They've never exactly been renowned for being tip top quality like some firms. Certainly that main failures isn't acceptable and you'd be mad to back for more. Therm-a-rest and Exped are good quality products so defo look into them.

I have a numo and its been fine on a few trips, it inflates ok then a few little puffs to get the desired thickness. Bubbles are usually a sign of a faulty product imo. Maybe a bad batch? I had the brukit last year which failed during a 5 day trip...I got a full refund but still...I have 2 of their viper torches and no probs with those. But yeah a lot of it comes from China...
    Re walking poles; a chap who was hiking the Pennine Way had a pair from Alpkit and they were awful. Hence I use Leki and Black Diamond as they also hold up my tent.
    Last edited by Taz; 13-06-2018 at 04:42 PM.