Thread: Orienteering

Lucky me! I've got Britain's largest non-banned green area on my doorstep - Hampstead Heath. Plenty of outdoors fun potential there including, apparently, orienteering.

I've never done any orienteering, but looking at the British Orienteering Federation's website, it seems maps are available for several permanent courses in North London. I can't see them on Stanford's website, so who else might sell them (and roughly how much do they cost)? And do you need anything else, a compass for example, or do you just try and use the map features? Anything else I should know?

Have a look at this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.e...on/lok/lok.htm

It's a London-based oreinteering clcub - Klubb, honest - who hold events in London area and have mapped various parts including Hampstead Heath. Probably worth an e-mail. My usual naviational policy on HHeath is to follow all the other hopeful looking tourists, but I've never been orienteering. They use compasses I believe. Watch out for the weird naturists in the long grass of the top right hand corner of the Heath. They aren't marked on maps, but they're there okay, though I guess foot and mouth may have put them off along with the sub-zero conditions. Good luck.

you can even buy orienteering specific compasses, with features not found on typical walking compasses. (should the plural be compass' or even compii. who cares?)

You are not far from the truth, as the word compass derives from the latin 'cummarae'
    (to arrive) and pasira (by way of) hence 'to arrive by way of'...compass!

conguating pasira, would give passi, passii, and passe, so technically the plural of compass would be compassii, or more easierly compii.

Cheers

(PS...I really need to get outside back onto the hills!)

just read that back to myself...what kind of word is 'easierly'?

I like it - has sort of gentle undertones of 'leisurely' which is one of my favourite words...

Goon
    I much prefer it to more easily or easier. I think we should all vow to bring it into common usage.

On another note, Joan...for someone so clearly into the outdoors and seemingly away in the hills so often, how do you stand to live in London? Have you just accepted being a travelling maniac at the weekends? I live in West London and find myself fleeing the capital on a Friday night more often than not.

Don't take this the wrong way Sally, but with a hat like that I'm not surprised you flee the capital on a regular basis. Back in the good old days when I was a native Londoner, we had a name for people like you - the weirdo on the tube...

Goon
    As Clive James once said, "in any other city people like that would have been locked up years ago. In London, however, they have a full time job as a professional weirdo".

Still, hat aside (am I ever going to get any peace about the hat? groan) I flee London mainly because I want to get outside to the countryside, but also because my friends are dotted around the country. The trouble with it is that I find I battle through London in the week and pay enormous rents, yet still don't get a chance at weekends to use my RA card or go to any galleries, which London is great for. In a nutshell I sometimes think I don't have the best of either world doing it this way. That was why I was asking Joan how she travelled out of London.

If there's one good reason to live in London it is that travelling out of it is extremely easy, fast and cheap.

That's true (the travelling bit). Now there's all these cheap airlines, you can go to Geneva, Glasgow, Inverness, wherever for very little. And it's a quick drive to Wales or the Peak. There's weekday evenings for galleries and cultural stuff, and putting up with London crowds and grime in the week just makes you appreciate the weekend more.

Last weekend I went to Rye (twee and windy) and Bluewater Centre (hmm..). Going to try the urban orienteering thing this weekend, then it's off to Norway for a coupla weeks. With any luck FMD should have blown over (not literally haha) by then.

How do you manage to fit filming in around that Joan, you must have fantastic stamina.

Simple - I skip the panto season.