Thread: Water filters & purification

Water filters & purification

Over the last 18 months or so I have gradually replaced and made my kit lighter, but I am still carrying water, usually 1 to 3 litres.

Other than boiling water, what other filtration devices & methods are you guys using?

‹bermensch
    Sawyer and Travel tap

Mini Goon
    Stage 1: MSR Miniworks EX; Stage 2: Steripen - this is for trips where the water is both silty & foul. Most modern lightweight filters are OK if the source is clear & are *much* lighter.

Mini Goon
    I use a Sawyer Mini as an extra barrier if I'm confident about the water and a Drinksafe Systems filter if I want extra piece of mind (like tap water in China recently). I'm disappointed with the latest Drinksafe filter however, as it is much larger than the previous incarnation.

Widdler
    There is an easy way to purify dirty water, but you should boil before drinking.

Usually I use the pump water filter which is light and easy to use.

Mini Goon
    Most people I know either use a Sawyer filter or tablets. Tablets are hard to beat for the weight and effectiveness.

I use a Sawyer mini filter because where I backpack tends to have clear water but with the possibility of Cryptosporidium due to the fact that most of the UK outdoors is covered in sheep so a filter is a good for that.

Boiling is extremely effective and only take a few minutes with a modern gas stove so it's a good way to produce safe water once you get to camp or are making a cuppa.

Widdler
    I've got both the Sawyer Mini and Squeeze, recently going back to the Squeeze full time simply for the additional flow rate. I always carry tablets in case of a filter failure though.