Thread: Any suggestion for a whittling knife!

Widdler

Any suggestion for a whittling knife!

Actually I have been using an Morakniv 120 for my wood carving hobby. I could really say that this is an amazing little knife. I bought this from Amazon (17 bucks). I used it to carve a handle for another Mora blade blank I had bought and it performs beautifully. I can carve on super hard wood for hours and the blade will still be sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm! And when it does need a little maintenance, just 2 or 3 passes on a strop with some honing compound will bring it back to a level of sharpness that I imagine would rival a straight razor. Also, the "scandi" grind makes sharpening super easy. But I am looking for another whittling knife that could do the same Job with my Morakniv 120. Any suggestion, guys? Thanks in advance for your input!

Widdler
    Opinel Carbon Steel or Flexcut JKN88 Whittlin' Jack could be another great choice!
    Opinel Carbon Steel is probably one of the best purchases I've made on Amazon. High quality, well made, and inexpensive. I was carrying a very expensive Hogue pocket knife, and decided that I abused/used my knives too much to carry something expensive every day and bought this one to carry for daily cutting chores around the farm. I have never owned an Opinel, but have used carbon steel knives in the past (Morakniv, etc.). I was very surprised when I received this knife. It is fairly large, but it doesn't "feel" large in my jeans pocket. I love the simple locking mechanism, the simple blade, and the simple handle. I also purchased a No. 6 at the same time, but even though it is really nice, it was just too small to be comfortable in my hand. The No. 8 fits perfectly. I used cold blue on the blade to make it less rust prone, and it gave it a really nice dark(er) color. A little Danish Oil on the handle to seal the wood - probably not necessary - and it is now by far my favorite pocket knife. The more expensive knives will stay in the safe from now on. It just amazes me that this is such a well made and high quality knife for the price. The blade is thin, but very sturdy and useable, and will sharpen to razor-like sharpness with very little time and hold an edge very well. I read some reviews about it here and find out that for wood craving or whittling task, this one will be as excellent as yours. will be buying more as gifts, and probably a few more for the future in case they become more popular and the price goes up!
    Last edited by LaurenL; 13-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Widdler
    To be honest, I'm not sure you're going to get much better than the Mora. You can of course pay a premium and get a lovely custom made sloyd from the likes of Ben Orford but it won't be that much better than the Mora.
    Check out my blog for photos and tales of my outdoor adventures:

www.barneysbimbles.blogspot.co.uk