Thread: Suggestions for Axe

Suggestions for Axe

I am planning a trip to forests, there i will definitely need an AXE to cut wood etc, i have been looking online for few, can you suggest a good axe but not too expensive or professional?

Widdler
    Husqvarna and Hultafors make a very good range of affordable axes. But.........

Are you sure that you need an axe? A good saw is a better and considerably safer option, while the axe is more of a nice to have. In these glorious warm months it's not always necessary to split down the wood to access the dry core (certainly if they're less than 5-6inches in diameter).

I speak from experience as I do most of my camping on a woodland permission. I typically take an axe in the winter when the wood is damp and requires significantly more prep. Rarely do I bother with it in the warmer months as it simply doesn't get used and is a dead weight in my bag.
    Last edited by Barneys Bimbles; 08-05-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    Check out my blog for photos and tales of my outdoor adventures:

www.barneysbimbles.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Barneys Bimbles View Post
    Husqvarna and Hultafors make a very good range of affordable axes. But.........

Are you sure that you need an axe? A good saw is a better and considerably safer option, while the axe is more of a nice to have. In these glorious warm months it's not always necessary to split down the wood to access the dry core (certainly if they're less than 5-6inches in diameter).

I speak from experience as I do most of my camping on a woodland permission. I typically take an axe in the winter when the wood is damp and requires significantly more prep. Rarely do I bother with it in the warmer months as it simply doesn't get used and is a dead weight in my bag.
    Thank you for your advice, i will most definitely look into your suggested option. Was not thinking in that manner.

Goon
    Barney makes a good point, a bow saw is anvaluable, and light.

Gransfors Bruks Forest axe is the one I carry when I need one.