Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad news for baggers?

Surveyors have been called in by the Munro Society to determine whether a couple of "borderline" hills can be promoted to Munro status. Details on the Beeb website here.

Mini Goon
    "But of course that then means that all these people who can claim to have climbed all of Scotland's Munros will have more work to do."

Wrong. I suggest that the majority of people who have climbed all the munros will have already climbed the two mentioned in the article, they being magnificent mountains in their own right. Or am I wrong, in which case do baggers ignore on principle any peak below the golden height ?

Initiate
    These two have been waverers for ages. I'd probably call myself a bagger (though not done them all yet) and I must admit these two have also been on my mental list of hills to do for ages as well. They look superb, Foinaven is massive! I've not done them yet but have done loads below the 'magic' 3000ft. If I'm in an area I'd rather do a new hill than repeat something done already.
    Hmmm new edition of the SMC 'The munros' coming out soon?

Peter, Sadly some baggers do only `do` mountains above the magic 3000ft mark, as part of an almost military campaign style approach.

And certainly Foinaven has always been a contender, although I`ve not climbed it it like many other

Mini Goon
    Did Trail magazine not do an article on one of them when they carried up a scale model of the hill a foot high, then claimed to have MADE a munro?

My view- on no account should Foinaven be made into a Munro- it would encourage thousands of extra trampling feet to this stunning region which has always been free from crowds.

Elitist? Maybe but I'm going to get up there in April and throw stones off the top if necessary until it's sub 3000.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    In the interests of fairness shouldn't they also be looking at the 915m hills as well just in case some of them have been incorrectly categorised as Munros?

According to this article OS have quite wide error margins (both ways!).

On a very unofficial basis, and using nowt more than a couple of Garmin Gekos, I'd reckon Foinaven will sneak in. The spot height marked on the OS maps doesn't seem to be the highest point on the ridge (and I'm aware how deceiving these things can be).

Beinn Dearg was the one Trail did.

Siward JM
    Give me a shout, I will come up and give you a hand. Foinaven is a beautiful remote hill for purists, and needs spared from the Munro baggers!

My Hill Pics

"Purists" and "Elitist"..This thread is starting to sound like the minutes of a golf club committee!

‹bermensch
    Better not put Foinaven on that fine bagging list then Reiver! Spare it from yourself mebbe?

I done it along with Arkle a few years back, a classic day out!
    Indeed my current obsession with the Munros is only to be a short lived blot on my character :-)

I got a view of Foinaven last Friday on one of my Munro bashing trips up north
    see this link

I too hope these 2 hills aren't promoted to Munro status.
    Traversed Foinaven a year or two ago on a clear Saturday and never saw a soul! Try climbing a Munro at the weekend and avoiding the crowds, there's probably only a handfull you can do alone if your lucky.
    I suppose calling the OS in to measure these hills is a way of generating publicity for the Munro Society.

It's not the OS who have been called in.

Mini Goon
    The only difference is whether you tick them off your Munros list or your Corbetts list. And they're both hills which surely any right minded hillwalker would want to climb even if they were on no list ........

‹bermensch
    While they're at it, they could check out Sgurr nan Ceannaichean. The excellent cairn at the top looks and feels (and convinces my gps) that it is the highest point, but according to the book and perhaps the map the 'true' summit is about 70m SE.

Care to enlighten us then Druidh? It says surveyors, would that not be the OS i.e Ordnance Survey.

Steve, the Surveying company are referred to in the BBC article linked to in Kev's post that started the thread.

‹bermensch
    The surveyors are a company called CMCR - see here. According to the article in todays Herald, the OS will accept their findings, and then the SMC will accept what the OS say. Another way of looking at this of course is that it is a rare pleasure for blaggers to have two more to blag, and I suppose one of the guys that is there on the day (if they are found to be Munros) will have the privilege of being able to claim the first ascent!

BTW Steve .. dunno if you remember the day you were on the Cuillin doing your first round; you'd just done the In-Pinn and had run out of water on a hot day -- me and the Mrs met you coming the other way and gave you some of our water. Hydration works! What a good day that was too ..

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    It still begs the question why the Munro Society/CMCR aren't going to get the three 915m Munros checked if they are that interested in the accuracy of the OS measurements...ah, that's right it wouldn't be such good publicity would it ;-)