Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the fleece dead?

With all these new things like the Rab vapour rise and Marmot Dri Climb, has the fleece had it's day?, in comparison, they're quite bulky, quite heavy, not windproof (except the windproof ones of course), since buying a Dri Climb as a substitute for a summer fleece, and using a Buffalo in winter, my fleece only gets worn to go the pub.

Well, on the recent D of E walk (November), the kids all had on either a fleece jacket or a substantial shell.

I only wore a base layer and my Marmot Dri-clime shirt - which feels pretty much paper thin.

If anything I was a bit on the warm side and only zipped it up when we stopped for lunch. The big 'proper' fleece jacket is worn down the shops in winter now...far too bulky for anything else as I don't want to carry it around any more.

Long live the fleece.

Be honest. All of us take the 'this will look good in the pub' factor into account when shopping for a fleece anyway. Is this true of the new-fangled stuff.

By the way i Have Marmot new-fangled thing which is light and warm and great and everything BUT....it doesn't look as good as a fleece.

Aaah, but when you get off the hill and back to the car in winter the fleece is king! Nothing like trudging through the snow to a remote carparking spot with the thought of a cosy fleece sitting there waiting for you :-)

Although a nice down jacket is also a good option whilst waiting for the heating to start working in the car....

I quite like the look of the Mountain Equipment Microtherm thingy myself though. I tried one on in Tiso a couple of weeks back and only just managed not to abuse the credit card! Maybe if they reduce it in the sales..... maybe.......

Hi, I use the buffalo P&P shirts and the teclite range but in spring and autumn and during periods of wet changable weather the 100 & 200 fleece and a wind shirt give me more layer and temperature control options.In snowy conditions I have still overheated slogging up many a Howgill fell using just the teclite shirt, were a base layer and fleece would have given better control.

I agree that fleece is rather bulky and so therefore I rarely take one onto the hills. The good old HH thermals, T-shirt and a shell jacket are usually enough for me with the addition of a sweat shirt for when it gets colder. However.... I am getting very tempted to move over to the Buffalo stuff.

When it's really cold or bumming around a camp site, I carry a duvet jacket leaving the fleece for general day to day wear and going down to the pub.

That said.... Fleece trousers are brilliant for slobbing around in. : )

M

Buffalo gear has it's place just like fleece.I bought a rab photon jkt last year never worn it on the hill ! it's just too warm good for camp wear but for me it's a no no,three light fleeces and a wind proof top do me for winter in all but the most inclement weather.I tend to use my buff stuff on bike trips to avoid extra bulk, ie shell jkts etc, but it's still got draw backs,for instance in heavey rain your buffalo shirt's gonna be in your pack coz you'll have your shell on, you'll still need some light insulation in winter, wearing your buffalo shirt under a shell is overkill,thin fleece is so adaptable.

Mini Goon
    I've had a Rab Vapour-Rise Smock for the last six months and I have pretty much used it as intended - worn next the skin. I've never needed anything else other than a shell in heavy rain and on that occasion combining it with the shell was absolutely fine - no breathability problems at all. As I invariably wear it on it's own I find the combination of microfleece and pertex ideal in combating wind and temperature. I would be extremely reluctant, in fact probably never likely to purchase a pure fleece garment again.

At the time I purchased the Rab, I also tried Buffalo but found it to be too bulky in comparison.

But it's 'horses for courses' etc.

I think that when Dave started this discussion, when he said 'fleece' he meant the traditional fleece top jacket.

Microfleeces are a completely different turkey and I have worn my TNF Aurora one to death in the 4 years I've had it (and I'm wearing it now) and I love it.

I still like my large fleece jkt too, but I can't ever imagine wanting to take it in my sac any more when there are such lightweight and compressible alternatives - some of which, (like my 'Hug-me-now' top), are fleecy!

I'M sat on my arse wearing my old craghopper fleece in polartec 200 this top combined with a pertex/ meryl micro wind proof has had many outdoor adventures and still looks new.I like fleece and as you know i've got plenty of other options of clothing, but layers for me are the only way I remain comfy in a wide range of outdoor conditions.

long live the fleece!

yes in dee dee, the fleece will alway's be a fave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i ask a serious question......

why is everyone putting my mums face as there face and changing there name cos im confused who is who?

Good point.

good point ................good fun!!

Ha ha.

Sorry Emma, shall I change it?

no its not

Impersonation on the forum isn't allowed - see the terms and conditions... I know it's confusing because Jeannie was originally, apparently, impersonating a mouse (?), but that doesn't strictly count.

Alpaccas? Not sure that's allowed either. How are we supposed to know whether you're a genuine camelid or not?