Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akto

Ok Guys and Gals

Let me have them...
    Here are some of my mods -

I am currently getting a complete inner tent for the Akto in mesh for spring, summer autumn use. Better ventilation and not so warm for damp UK conditions.

I will be making a footprint to cover the vestibule area only. This will help reduce condensation and keep my gear dry as well as my bum, knees etc when entering or exiting the tent.

I will be placeing extra zipper sliders on the inner tent to allow for the inner tent door to open in many different configurations, improving comfort, ventilation and flexibility.

I will probably cut off the ziper slider metal tags to stop them rattling and replace with some dyneema cord.

I have made a thicker pole to be used in winter conditions. It is a 9.35 DAC feather light pole. It seems to weight the same as the standard pole that comes with the tent but is thicker.

I have sewn extra gear loops into the inner tent allowing torches, drying lines, and clothing and equipment to be stored neatly.

I have replaced some of the standard pegs with a mixture of snow anchors (MSR Blizzard), and pegs suitable for hard ground.

Goon
    said same on other akto post, thicker diameter pole may be no stronger

only take the pegs you really need
    same with guys

is mesh inner actually any lighter? again thinner solid fabric vs thicker mesh? sometines no weight benefit

tend to just use plastic bag for porch area if i have to kneel

the only tent modifications i have done tend to be emergency ones!

Hayden, when you say you are getting a mesh inner for the Akto, is this from Hilleberg and if so is it a "standard " item or did you talk them into doing it just for you?

It is a non-standard item and I may divulge how you may possibly get one once mine has arrived. I will have to speak to the persons involved before saying any more.

I should have it by next weekend so I can post more details then.

Sorry I can't be of more help at present.

Thanks for replying Hayden. I look forward to hearing more.

All the above mods have now been tested and all work well. I have also put an extra pegging point on the fly door at the bottom of the zip to allow extra ventilation with the zip open but to keep the worst of the rain and wind out.

I have also added a guy line on the pole tension line that runs under the ground sheet. This allows easy adjustment when necessary.

thats a clever idea and worth trying

If you are talking about the extra pegging point on the door, yes it works well if the weather is poor but you still want ventilation and it is very easy to stitch a loop of dyneema cord to the bottom of the zip which is a strong point to stitch to.

The guy line under the floor can help in certain pitching situations and is a cool, reversablemod.

I want to add a ventilation flap to the end of the inner tent where the externel vents are which can be sealed with velcro in very windy conditions but It will take huge balls to do this mod as it could ruin the inner tent...

The standard pegs should be changed for something a bit stronger. You need 4 easton or alp kit fat pegs for the metal ring peg out points. 4 msr blizzard snow pegs for the guylines and possibly two or 4 more of these for the lateral guylines, 4 if you have done the extra guyline mod.

I have recently added extra guy line to the lateral guy points and this increases stability in high winds. It's especially usefull if the wind changes direction.

I want to add a ventilation flap to the end of the inner tent where the externel vents are which can be sealed with velcro in very windy conditions but It will take huge balls to do this mod as it could ruin the inner tent...

I'm not familiar with the Akto, but is this mod on v-g backpacking what you are talking about? I think the owner of the site posts on this forum sometimes too.

I am currently getting a complete inner tent for the Akto in mesh for spring, summer autumn use

The obvious question is "why?" For summer I can understand the bug protection side of it, but spring and autumn what do you really gain? Seems to me it'd be much easier to just get a groundsheet and use the fly without the inner.

Mesh isn't that much lighter than "solid" fabric, and it's a lot heavier than air. And all you really need in summer to keep the bugs out is net over the door, which would be lighter and cheaper than a full on mesh inner. All you really lose by losing the inner is if it's so incredibly wet that you need the raised sides on the bathtub floor, and if it's that sort of horrible I'd suspect that you wouldn't mind any extra warmth too!

You can probably tell I've never been very thrilled by mesh inners as a concept, at least for the UK. To put their real use into perspective, I was once looking round a TNF factory outlet in San Francisco at some of their mesh-inner tents. One of the assistants came up to help, and asked me if I'd also be interetsed in "the optional rain fly". If the rain-fly is not optional, then a mesh inner really doesn't do much to fuss about if there's insect protection over vents and entrances.

I have made a thicker pole to be used in winter conditions. It is a 9.35 DAC feather light pole. It seems to weight the same as the standard pole that comes with the tent but is thicker.

I would be wary of this. Hilleberg spend a lot of time and effort maximising the strength of their tents at a given weight, and I'd be surprised if you've found a better pole at the same weight that they haven't as they have no reason to cut any corners at all and do it as their full time job, unless you're talking really outrageously stupidly expensive, and if it's DAC then I suspect it isn't.

I have replaced some of the standard pegs with a mixture of snow anchors (MSR Blizzard), and pegs suitable for hard ground.

Good thinking, this should be standard practice. I've read about Robert Saunders saying he'd prefer to supply tents without pegs so users could buy the right ones for whatever places they'll be using it, but it would be like giving electric toys with no batterieson Christmas Day. It's daft to supply a full set of perfect pegs for everything, so everyone should consider adding pegs to a collection for selection on any given trip.

Pete.

I'm not familiar with the Akto, but is this mod on v-g backpacking what you are talking about? I think the owner of the site posts on this forum sometimes too.

That is me!. From the first trial pitch on the lawn, I strongly suspected I would have to do something about the ventilation of the inner: this is regardless of any condensation issues, I want a slow steady throughput to give some fresh air. The first pitch on the hill in cool damp conditions confirmed suspicions, and there was a little condensation as well on the inside of the inner and outside of the sleeping bag.

The mesh panels were a great improvement and the inside of the inner was bone dry on my subsequent pitches, but it wasn't very cold - I'm still waiting for a good cold weather test.

I was surprised to receive a comment from a reader explaining a totally different view of the way the Akto is supposed to work, using a temperature differential to stay dry with the inner and outer both completely closed. I can't comment on the efficacy of this concept, but a totally closed inner would be intolerable to me. I would be interested to know what others think of this idea.

See comments 3 and 7 by Rolf Kerkhof in this blog post.

Thanks for the info! Yes that mod wasalmost the same aswhat I was considering doing. I would not do that mod as you cannot seal up the tent as it was origionaly designed. I would want a velcro/zippered flap of origional fabric so I could have the best of both worlds.

I am very fussy with all my gear and do not like compromises so am always experimenting and very difficult to please...

The full mesh inner for the Akto works fine in the UK and is much cooler than the standard one which can be too warm in summer in my opinion. It was not a weight saving excercise! Simply an excercise (costly)in comfort for warmer weather.

The tent works almost perfectly in standard form but like all things nothing is ever going to be perfect. I would not recomend the full mesh to anyone unless they are only a summer camper or are going somewhere hot as the standard one works fine.

I probably will not do the vent mod as I have a full mesh inner tent for warmer weather, but if I get bored...

The full mesh inner for the Akto works fine in the UK and is much cooler than the standard one which can be too warm in summer in my opinion. It was not a weight saving excercise! Simply an excercise (costly)in comfort for warmer weather.

But how is it an improvement on just using a groundsheet? I can see a mesh inner limiting the space and adding weight but I can't see where it actually puts you ahead of it not being there in most cases.

Pete.

It stops that dastardly midge!

Oh, and ticks, bugs mice etc...

It has an integral ground sheet so you get some draught protection.

You cannot easliy loose small items when you unpack your sack inside the inner tent, infact the inner can help you from sliding out of your tent if you have no option but to camp on a slope.

(this has happened to me on a steep hill in scotland. Not in an akto though. I woke up on a very damp and dark night in a single skin tent and reached up to see how much condensation there was. Guess what - no tent. I had slid out and a good few yards down the hill. This wasbecause I was paranoid about condensation and had left the door open and was (unsecurely)propped in position with my rucksack

Fairy Nuff!

In reflection I think I've been assuming too much about Life In an Akto from my Saunders Spacepacker by virtue of it being a small single hoop tent, but thinking harder I think it's probable that the Spacepacker's design actually allows for considerably better venting of the inner as you've got doors (and zip-out mesh panels in those doors) on both sides, each venting into a large porch. I guess that's part of what you get for the extra 400g!

Pete.

‹bermensch

Just ressurecting this thread to ask a bit of advice - I'm on the verge of making a 'toeprint' (copyrite, Hayden) to cover one half of the porch area. The question is, would it be better covering the right half or the left half (when looking out from within the tent)?

I initially assumed the toeprint would cover the right half but thinking about it, maybe it would be better to slide in over a dry, covered area and save the uncovered right (lesser used) half as a sort of 'wet/muddy' area?

...are you reading this Hayden?

Hayden To glyn over?

Glyn this is Hayden callback?

Hayden to Glyn Over?

I prefer it on the right as you initially suspected and for exactly the same reasons.

You want to be able to unzip the fly,step into your tent porch, shove your rucksack and other gear onto the toe print before unzipping the innerand sitting down in the inner tent and then remove your boots etc. Pheeeeew!(when the weather is bad zip up the fly before you do anything else.)

‹bermensch

Glyn to Hayden...

I understand, am now weighing up the pros and cons...

roger...

and out?

"""""chhhhhrrrrrrrshhhhhshhhhhhhhhh"""

CQ CQ CQ

I had that same feeling today just out of curiostity.. I have an old GS and thought I might cut out a toe print........""""""""shhhshhshhshchhcrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrhshhhhhhhh""""

I must ask Mrs Bluff to fire up the sewing machine.

OUT

‹bermensch
    Just like to inform... completely needless and unnecessary photo of an Akto on the Gillside Farm Campsite thread.