Thread: Wainwright on TV

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    It's probably been posted before but just in case it hasn't there are a couple of programmes coming up tonight and tomorrow. See Wainwright website for more info.

Goon
    I watched the life story of Wainright last Monday, while I like his books and admire his talent, I can not say I could admire the man. There seems to be a cover up here and he is being humanised. His own account of his life and Hunter Davies version and the snipits that I have learned over the years differ a lot from the television version. He was no loner and he was not a great walker and if I treated my poor wife the same way as he did his first wife my walking boots would have been on the fire and me out of the door long ago and righly so.

David,

I agree categorically with your comments, I have just finished the program and I'm astonished and saddened with his lack of regard for his wife and fellow humans on and off the hill.

Remarkable achievements "self satisfaction/addiction" should never excuse the cold heart. However I do feel a sense of loss for the man and the life/poeple he wasted.

Just my thoughts

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Next week... Wainwright: The Conspiracy Files ;-)

Seriously though, I'd have to agree that he possibly wasn't the most considerate of chaps!

Goon
    No I dont think there was any conspiracy, just a few journalist's not wanting to show another side to an old friend and maybe shake a few skeltons in the cupboard (and lets be honest most of us have a few of them). In the end Wainwright did inspire a lot of people to walk the fells that other wise would not have done so. Wether this is good or not I do not know. It took me thirty years to complete his Coast to Coast in two goes and I honestly think that it is one of the best L D Ps ever devised and it is way past time that it was given National Path Status.
    David H

I agree - not a very nice man but what a talent he had. His sketches are wonderful and attention to detail legendary. I would pity any poor person who had to live with him.

Mini Goon
    Someone we know suggested that he had undiagnosed Aspergers Syndrome. He certainly had some of the symptoms. However, I'll forgive him everything for his talent and for his love of the fells.