Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wainwright

Don't know if this has already been posted, but it's on BBC4 now!

It was on at 8pm too.

I thought it might be a bit boring, but it was excellent. Series continues throughout the week at 8:30pm on BBC4.

Mini Goon
    I cannot get BBC4. i want to use a rude word about the BBC.

I don't have a TV, let alone BBC4, so fingers crossed my girlfriend has recorded it for me.

It was good , really nailed it. I love the wainwright books though so am biased .

Eeek! Just noticed I have re-named the great one in the thread title. I must have been thinking of his imaginary brother.
    Sorry
    Good programme, particularly as it was about an anti-social loner with a singleminded purpose - not a promising subject for interesting viewing.
    I only have one of his books, but will be expanding on that.

His guides to the Lakes were the work of a genius.I purchased the full set of books in the mid 70's and they took me up many of the mountains in the English Lake District.I also purchased a very early copy of his Coast to Coast walk but sadly work & family commitments meant that I could never get round to undertaking this trip.Now 30 years later,my life long ambition will become a reality when I commence the walk in June.He is gone but for many walkers he will never be forgotten.

There was another thread that I started but it got shunted down the list a bit.

Haystacks tonight
    Blencathra next week

Scafell Pike is one of the other two, hoping the fourth won't be the obvious choice of Helvellyn .

And for the digitally disenfranchised, according to the Wainwright Society, they should be on BBC2 at the end of June.

Mini Goon
    John Bailey "And for the digitally disenfranchised, according to the Wainwright Society, they should be on BBC2 at the end of June."

Hurrah!!!

Enjoyed tonights up Haystacks ,the view was good at the bottom and all the way to the top . Guess it will be busy there this weekend , a bit of a prompt to go and walk it again.

Yes, great, stunning photography - made me wish I was back in the Lakes now, & not a 7 hour drive away - Grrrr!

That'll be Alfred Wainwright then;-)

Somebody has recorded the Haystacks episode and the one from Sunday night for me. It's just so frustrating that I can't watch it until I go home for Easter in 3 weeks time.

Just a question: If I was to ask a generally non-walker to watch it, would they have an apetite to come to the Lakes with me at Easter?

A bit of background info for you.....

The Scafell Pike programme was filmed on a Saturday in September last year. I know because I walked past them whilst they were filming somewhere between Great End and Esk Hause.

Mini Goon
    You don't happen to know which Saturday it was, do you? We were on Great End on a Saturday last Sept (husband completing Wainwright round) and it would be rather appropriate if it happened to be the same day.

We really enjoyed the Alfie documentary- they got it spot on- and the Haystacks walk last night was wonderfully filmed. We're hoping the last walk will be Gable.

Übermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar
    Oh dear, looks like I'm a dissenting voice here.

I've not watched the intro program yet, but I watched last night's walk & wasn't that impressed with the Haystacks route having seen the AW (Striding Edgeprodutions?) BBC TV quite recently.

The presenter seemed to wax lyrical, and gaze off into the far distance a lot, but almost every shot showed her bounding along and never a bead of sweat crossed her brow.

The aerial pixs were good but I felt like I was losing the plot on the route itself.

And what a waste to just bag the peak + tarn then hoof off down again. The main attraction of Haystacks is the time you can spend just wnadering around the felltop contrasting the different panoramas.

Here's to the next one.

Sam - according to my walking log it was Saturday 23rd September 2006.

Mini Goon
    Thanks, Lorraine. We were there the Saturday previously. It was baking hot as well.

I have recorded the Haystacks walk but haven't been able to watch it yet. However I looked at the comments on the Trail section of the Country Walking website and most comments were pretty much in agreement with what Johnhee says.

As far as the intro programme on Sunday is concerned I found it an interesting documentary about a very selfish and single minded man. However his books are fantastic and I have read and re-read all of his guides several times over.

I'm kind of hoping that the plan is to make each walk progressively harder. I'm sure she said it was her first lakeland peak (was paying more attention to the pictures than the sound).

I think it would work as a good encouragement to a non-walker considering how easy it all looked and that there was a view at the top, I've only ever done Haystacks in the cloud.