Thread: What camping gear is essential for backpacking (3-5 days)?

What camping gear is essential for backpacking (3-5 days)?

i would like to know, what knife to carry, which flashlight to carry etc. hope you guys have some amazing suggestions.

Rucksack
    Shelter
    Sleep system
    Cookset
    Food & drink
    Headtorch
    Map & compass
    First Aid Kit

I wouldn't bother with a knife, a pair of scissors in the first aid kit would be more useful to me. Zebralight H51 is a good headtorch

Mini Goon
    As Shewie says but I like to take a small Swiss army type knife. Also a toilet kit. Anything else is a nice to have.

Yes the basic usually remain the same everywhere, i was more worries for some knife and torch type of things, as you never know what goes wrong, so better be prepared rather then looking for something later. Do you guys have any knife suggestions?
    Swiss knife is good but in case of a self defense i think it will be kind of small.

Which country are you hiking in? Self defense against what/who?

Zebralght for a headtorch

@Shewie

i am planning for kilimajaro, Tanzania, Africa. Heard it is a very nice place to visit. By self defense i mean in a general manner, it can be a thug or some animal. I am asking for a knife so i can use it for my hiking related things, as well if the need comes to self defense so i am able to use it there. Plus it has to be something that can be carried easily. i was thinking about this pocket knife https://swordsswords.com/knives/pock...ket-knife.html.
    Last edited by Billy02; 25-04-2018 at 08:16 AM.

I suggest you to buy your gears from AlpineTrek / Bergfreunde if you are from UK. They also have a promotion going on in which you can get 10% discount on your orders by applying voucher code. You may find the code here
    AlpineTrek Discount Code
    --
    Shop From The Kingdom Of Discounts
    www.discountcodez.co.uk

Goon
    Battery pack to charge up your mobile, especially if you are to use an app for a map
    Also maybe selling my Tarptent MoTrail only a year old in excellent condition

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy02 View Post
    Yes the basic usually remain the same everywhere, i was more worries for some knife and torch type of things, as you never know what goes wrong, so better be prepared rather then looking for something later. Do you guys have any knife suggestions?
    Swiss knife is good but in case of a self defense i think it will be kind of small.
    Billy don't take this the wrong way but unless you have appropriate training you're far more likely to get badly hurt if you pull a knife than if you have no weapon at all.

Yes i agree, but that all depends on the situation, its like the last resort when you know there is no other option.

Mini Goon
    If the country you're in require a knife for protection, and their laws allow, then you want a knife that opens more quickly than that. Ideally a flick-knife if legal - you'd need to buy it there as they're illegal to even own over here. Failing that you can get plenty of knives which have one handed opening which are legal over here too. Heinie Haynes sell a terrific collection of knives.

re: flashlight - there are tons of decent LED lights around now. I'd have thought you want one that takes common batteries like AAs.

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy02 View Post
    Yes i agree, but that all depends on the situation, its like the last resort when you know there is no other option.
    I'll say for the final time, if you don't know how to use a knife in that situation it's likely to get you killed or at least seriously hurt.