Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches

Widdler
    I am thinking of buying an Altimeter watch from either Casio or Suunto, does anyone out there have any experience with them? good or bad? As it seems like such a lot of money to spend, and then find out they?re rubbish. I am a keen walker. Your views will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Huw.

Got a Casio Pro trek Triple Sensor thingy. Seems as accurate as any other, in that if you calibrate it as often as possible.

Mine cost me £60 or £70 in a sale. Bargain.

Its a good aid to navigaion, and if you get bored you can play with the graphs and stuff!!

Never used a Suunto one. They seem a lot bigger, thats about all I can say!!

HTH

Si(C)

I own a suunto vector, and find it really useful as the altitude adds a third dimension to navigating. Also, the weather trend feature is good during a wild camp.

Check out the reviews on this site (bottom left hand side of page)

I've got an Omega Seamaster. It tells the time ans is waterproof. Do you REALLY need anything else on a watch?

I can't beleive that "Shiny Kit Boy" just said that!

If thats your philosophy, why don't you have a cheaper watch? It'll do just as good a job. Why do you need a premium name brand?

In answer to your question, if you want an altimeter as well, then yes you do need something else.

Si(C)

AH yes but is it a case of NEED or WANT. I got the Omega cos I wanted a watch to last me the rest of my life... However short that may be.

You can do things like "Guess the height gained" with kids when training 'em. OK so you can look at map contours for a single pitch, but for guessing total height gain over a whole day stuff an altimeter is cool.

No, I don't have an altimeter.
    Yes, I DO want one so this thread is interesting.
    I was only 55 metres out on Sunday :0)

Actually I was bought, as a present when I passed my ML assessment, a Suunto Vector but I can't be bothered to work out how to use it...

John, if you REALLY can't be ar*ed with it, you know where I live LOL

Somebody must love you loads to get you one of those!!

Mini Goon
    I'm looking at the Suunto range myself - friends tell me the Vector is good - as Tim does above - (altimeter, barometer, digi compass etc) and a mate is getting on well with the Advizor model, the next one up. They are more expensive, but now I'm aware of them, I'm seeing them worn everywhere (I lost count of how many I saw at the Alan Hinkes lecture in Milton Keynes last week...!!)

Needless to say I'm working out where I can get the most money off!!

If you search for Suunto in say Google, there are some good sites with features comparison tables and some better prices than the high street.

Tim - any pros and cons from using your Vector?

Cheers all,

PB

They certainly did... Did being the operative word.

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/doc...Lander_2uk.pdf

That link takes you to the instruction manual for the Vector. It's 600k. See if you can be bothered to work out how to use it...

I have a Suunto Vector (£119 @ outdoorgarage.com) I use it far more than my gps (usually switched off in the rucksac). Unlike most of the casios the battery is user replaceable. Check out the new versions which include a computer interface.

Have a look at the Vector User Reviews.

Mini Goon
    All singing and dancing watches are rubbish. The more they've got, the more that can go wrong with them!

I agree with a previous thread, a watch is a watch end of story. Buy yourself a decent watch (self-winding) that will last you, preferably without a battery, because hey, you'll never know when the battery will go.

If you've already got a watch then buy yourself the altimeter, GPS whatever. After all, you would'nt want to look a little foolish with Big-Ben on your wrist.

And I thought that everybody had an obesession with reducing the weight they carry?

My sentiments exactly Jonathan.

How much does a seperate altimeter weigh?

I'd wager that my waterproof £60 Casio weighs less than Johns (admittedly rather nice) Omega.

And less than any kinetic watches I've ever seen. So your weight arguments aren't really valid.

Whats your beef guys - if someone wants to wear an altimeter in the hills then surely they're not hurting anyone? If you've got a problem with people wearing them day to day, then thats another matter entirely.

Says he, wearing his only Pro Trek at work (but only cos I cant afford a nice Omega!).

Si(C)

My Vector probably weighs a lot less than most watches, so I agree with Si(C) above.

As for whether you need an altimeter or not is entirely up to the individual - I, for one, actually like knowing how far I've climbed, at what altitude I'm camping, what the trend of weather's been like overnight.

Yes, there are a lot of functions and I doubt I will ever use them all, but those I like using...I will use.

Seems like it down to personal choice gentlemen! Simple!

Indeedy.

Si(C)

Mini Goon
    C'mon guys and girls - this thread started off with Huw just looking for some help! If he wants to but something, that's his call -I for one am not on the Forum to challenge him, call his interest 'rubbish' or tell him what to do - you can keep all those views to yourself thanks, because it's not helping anyone. We all use the Forum to either improve our knowledge or pass what we know onto others, and that's the way it should be - none of you out there are 'know it all's' are you?
    I'm pleased to see that at least some of the responses are what I think is great about the Forum.

Cheers,
    PB

Paul
    I think Huw asked for all views good and bad and is undecided if he is to get one or not, I can't see any postings here that do not answer his original post.
    Oh and by the way John Corteen IS a know it all (apparently).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    sorry John , own it all (typo)