Thread: 2 section or 3 section pacer poles?

Mini Goon
    I think I am going to buy some pacer poles.

Looking at their website they sell 2 versions
    (1) a 3 section version with all sections being made of aluminium: Weight 595 grams (pair) Price £78
    (2) a 2 section version with a carbon fibre bottom section: Weight 650 grams (pair) Price £69.50

Could someone please advise on which version to buy?

Personally....I would not buy carbon fibre walking poles after seeing what happened to my C/F camera tripod - bird hide door blew shut on the legs and they just shattered leaving nasty sharp edges.
    I use my metal poles to bash & explore things, jam in crevices to get leverage - wouldn't be doing that with carbon fibre.

I have the 3-section ones. I like them a lot. IIRC, they also fit down smaller than the 2-section poles. I've never tried carbon fibre poles.

Jon, I was puzzled by the weights you quoted, so checked them on the Pacer Poles site. Sorry to say you have them the wrong way round - 3 section ally 650 gms/pair , carbon fibre version 595gms/pair. This makes sense as, in my opinion, the only benefit of cf over ally is weight saving.

Sorry to correct you publicly. I would have emailed suggesting a quiet edit to your post, but you have chosen to keep your e-address secret. May I suggest to you and others that it is worth supplying your details. Anyone using them to contact you does so without seeing your address unless you wish to reply to them.

As already mentioned, the three section version packs a lot smaller, so are a better choice for travelling. I wouldn't like to fly with the two section version.

The weight difference is extremely slight (685 and 635g by my scales - the website probably gives weights without baskets-), but the CF lower sections do make for a slightly 'stiffer' pole, which I prefer.

Mini Goon
    Thanks Frum for pointing out my obvious mistake - as you stated, it is the carbon fibre 2 section versions that are 595 grams a pair and the 3 section ones are quoted as being 650 grams a pair.

Based on all the feedback received thus far (thanks to all those that have responded), I think I will go for the 3 section ones