Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere Horseshoe

I'm thinking of doing this towards the end of January. Just wondered if there is a better/preferred direction - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

I'd recommend clockwise. The eastern side of the valley is not as undulating so it is easier to walk along if you're getting tired.
    Get an early start and allow plenty of time as it's a fairly long route. Watch out for the wind racing over Nan Bield Pass.

Hi greg,
    when i have done it i did it clockwise.
    try to get there early as parking is limited,try parking at the church..
    Great long walk but as you reach the middle of the walk i would take time to look around you and its quite amazing just how many waters,tarns you can actually see,try to make a point to look at Blea Tarn ,lovely view and great dinner stop overlooking it,and Haweswater,..
    have a great walk,its one of my favourites...

Goon
    Greg, one of my favourite walks. I'd definitely go for clockwise. Parking by the church is usually OK if you are early, especially in winter

Also try to lookout for the only nesting pair of Golden Eagle in the lakes,i was lucky enough to spot them but from a distance over mardale head and haweswater..

Diddy - the female of the nesting pair was reporting as missing, presumably dead, by the RSPB back in 2004.

They were hoping that another female would be attracted to the area, but I've not heard anyone mention that that has happened yet.

Could have been a buzzard then long way away,not a bird watcher myself but my walking partner is very keen,sure i got a pic or 2 might dig them out and see...
    thanks..

just had a look at pics,nowt on them that i can see..
    was lucky enough to also see a pair fighting over our heads in Kinlochleven..

I'm happy to go with the flow and say clockwise. Somehow, the Kentmere Horseshoe would feel 'wrong' to me if it was walked anti-clockwise.

There must be some people who prefer to walk it anti-clockwise though.

Its the same with the Fairfield Horseshoe,
    I do it clockwise, what i would say was the quieter route.but always see masses doing it anti-clockwise?

I generally walk the Fairfield Horseshoe anti-clockwise. I guess the reason for that is because I can get an early bus from home to Ambleside and head straight uphill as early as 7am. What usually happens is that an early morning fellrunner or two overtake me on Low Pike, then I see no-one all the way to the summit of Fairfield. Coming over Great Rigg on the way down to Rydal, I'll usually meet a couple of dozen folk on their way into a clockwise round.

To me that way seems like "HELL".is it a tuff as it looks? when im trotting down it looking back thinking boy im glad i didnt go that way up??it seems to go on and on for ever and thats down hill..lol..

but i always visit the priests cave so bit of a detour wont help!!

Hmmm - I always look at the folks climbing Rydal Fell and think "HELL - is it as tuff as it looks?" I'm glad you know where the cave is. There are plenty of regular Fairfield Horseshoe walkers who haven't a clue it even exists.

Initiate Professor Pat. Pending's Avatar
    I've done it in both directions from Kentmere and it's prehaps best done clockwise for the effort and the views across to your route up, on the way down. However, if you go there regularly, either way, it's a nice day out.

I have no idea of any cave in that area, but I'm not really bothered, it's never spoilt my days out.

Thanks everyone - clockwise it is then!
    I want to start between 8 and 8.30, so hopefully that should guarantee parking at the church.

Goon
    Greg, you should be fine at tthat time. Are you doing it on your own?

Looks like I might be the awkward one - walked the Kentmere Horseshoe on 3 occasions - each time anti-clockwise. Don't know why, it's just happened that way.

Set me thinking about other walks I have done and most circular walks have been anti-clockwise. Maybe I've been programmed differently :-)

Goon
    One of the advantages of anti clockwise is that you can start by Stile End, a mile or so beyond Kentmere village on the east side of the valley - you can always easily park here at the start of the track over to Longsleddale, which then takes you up to a pass and the path north to Harter Fell.

An alternative to the parking problems at Kentmere (a resident once deliberately blocked me in, forcing me to grovel later in the day on his doorstep) is to start a clockwise route from the lane below Dubbs Reservoir, two or three miles over the hills SW of the village. From here a fine track gradually ascends all the way to the Garburn Pass. It's a longer route though, so best suited to the summer months.

Given it's accessibility from the M6, it's good that Kentmere and it's hills retain much of their character. I've often done the horseshoe and met next to no one.

Thanks Tubby - I'll have a look at the map to see how much it adds.
    Hi Harry - I'm going with Ian G (also off OM).

TT , I have seen the double parking at the church as well , I now park "out" to prevent myself getting blocked in, unfortunate but you could be there hours otherwise .
    Parking across the valley is also good for the clockwise route ,you do not have the long walk off the hill at the end ,Its at the start instead when its not as gruelling (not that its that bad anyway).

Initiate Professor Pat. Pending's Avatar

Just a few hundred yards below the village Hall there is a field on the left (as you approach from Staveley. You can usually park in the field, there's an honesty box attached to the gate. I can give a grid ref. if anyones interested.