Thread: ntl hell

Anyone ever had experience of ntl's 'customer service'?

Since I moved 3 months ago I have had requests for payments on outstanding bills which I was disputing. To cut a very long story short I paid the bloody thing to get them off my back after they referred me to a Credit Collection Agency who were threatening "Doorstep Collection" (presumably a big bloke with a shaved head in a long leather coat).

I paid this over two weeks ago and had a letter this morning from the Credit Collection peoples' solicitors threatening to take me to court for non-payment!

Being slightly miffed I had a big row on the phone with "Credit Solutions" this morning who informed me that according to their system my account is clear but ntl have now put six claims against me through them!!!

To date I have...

1. Informed ntl five times since end of July of change of address but post is still being sent to my old address.

2. Been promised, two months ago, that someone would contact me, as a high priority, regarding final disconnection of services. I'm still waiting.

3. Been promised a final itemised bill five weeks ago. I'm still waiting.

4. Written to their MD twice in the last three months. I've had no reply.

5. Made numerous calls through their interminable menu system, holding for an average of 30 minutes before being cut off.

6. I could go on... and on... and on...

ntl are, without doubt, the most incompetent, arrogant, moronic bunch of cretinous sh*theads that I ever had the misfortune to deal with.

As a communications company they are totally impossible to communicate with. I think it might be a plot to drive a large percentage of the population insane through frustration. I don't know what the benefits of this would be but "they" must think there is one.

I phoned OFTEL who will contact ntl on my behalf. Then ntl will get in touch with me within four working days. Yeh, right. At my old address or on my old phone number presumably.

Has anyone had similar experiences and have you managed to sort them out?

Sorry to rant, but this is soapbox and I'm very, very cross.

With a annual spend of 500K on telecomms services, have we got any ntl circuits?

Mark - we have had similar probs with NTL and they ARE complete winkers. They have never gone as far as they have with you but it came close!

When Bob and I got married we had had a house each so when we combined households we only took one set-top box and phone line with us; the other was dormant/cancelled/unused.

This was too complicated for them...they couldn't cope with the cessation of a phone line so they kept it on at Bob's OLD HOUSE but sent the bill on to our new address in Bob's name...so they wanted US to pay for the calls the new occupiers were using! As the debt was in Bob's name it was complicated.

THEN they failed to keep 3 appointments to pick up the set-top box (please could we drop it in at your depot? NO!!) so when we moved we had to take it with us...had we left it we no doubt would have been liable. Of course, they couldn't figure out how to pick it up from the new address as we needed a 'live' connection there so the guys presumed it was an error and didn't come.

BUT WHILE IT WAS IN OUR POSSESSION THEY WANTED TO CHARGE US FOR A SERVICE THAT WE WEREN'T USING.

Eventually we got it picked up and I demanded a signed receipt.....you can't imagine why, can you? We also had a refund for the months we'd been charged for nothing. Had we cancelled the DD we'd have been in bother with the Credit Reference Agency because NTL would have been unable to collect the money for the phone and TV we WERE using.

The biggest problem we found that because there were SO MANY things that went wrong at once, the ill-educated morons on the end of the phone just couldn't grasp it at all.

Angry? Frustrated? You bet.

I've even found a website called nthell.com that has 240 complaints on it. A lot of them from employees of ntl!!!

I'm going for retail therapy at lunchtime. Anyone know where you can buy anthrax?

Mark, I'm gonna try and dig out a complaint letter (think it was to NTL) that I was mailed. Its hilarious and may make you feel better.

Si(C)

Mini Goon
    I've got that complaint letter as well!

I've also got inside information on ntl and the way the company is run, sorry not run.

Want to know more?

On the basis that I've just been hit by an email snowball, I could hit ntl's head of customer service with an email baseball bat and have an email sh*t through their CEO's letterbox.

Jonathan - yeh, yeh, tell me more!

Jonathan - have you been "hushed up"? Oh my God, I knew it was a conspiracy.

Wait - there's an ntl van outside the building. A couple of guys in dark suits and shades are getting out... they're NEVER engineers. They're coming over the road... I can hear heavy foorsteps on the stairs. Oh Christ, I'll try hiding under thedcSQDCGVQCXAA

Mini Goon
    The bondholders of the company have sacked between four/five members of the Board yesterday.

‹bermensch
    I was on the verge of having ntl broadband installed but am now reconsidering! lol
    Any recommendations for other suppliers?

Glyn.

I have NTL broadband, its great and cheap. I got it installed free after I complained to OFTEL about a similar problem to the "unpayed" bill, after 6 monts they claimed they still couldnt trace a payment I made, after OFTEL got involved they found it in 2 hours!
    Telewest broadbands good if your in the area but I can't vouch for the customer services!

Telewest? :O(

There's a rumour about Telewest & NTL merging. They're both so much in debt that they have to raise prices or cut costs.

Raising prices will make them less attractive to new customers.

So how will they cut costs?

Merge, sack one lot of support staff therefore cutting costs. But... twice as much work for the support staff means twice as many errors for customers to complain about.

We have NTL broadband and it's OK. Cable modem, though.

Do not consider an NTL set-top box .....utter sh*te...we had to ask them to take it out only 10 months into a 12 month contract as we were on our fourth machine and they kept breaking...we don't have an aerial (prev. owners were luddites) so a cable box breakdown meant no telly at all.

They tried to fine us the last 2 months' rental but I pointed out that it was THEY who had broken the contract by failing to provide us with a watchable service...they backed down.

p.s. I asked the set-top repair man what could we do and he said 'Get Sky, I wouldn't have this crap in MY home'! LOL