Thread: I need an assessor for my D of E Gold group

Hi all,

I have been struggling trying to find an assessor for my current Duke of Edinburgh Award group. I did have the perfect guy lined up, but he's working on the dates that I'm planning on going on. I've been wondering about what I was going to do about this predicament, when it suddenly struck me that some of you guys might be happy to help.

Before we go any further, in order to assess a Gold D of E group you must have either your ML or have attended and passed the Wild Country Assessor Accreditation course. Having been on the course myself, I sympathise with others of you that have!

If you do satisfy the criteria I would be interested to hear from you.

So what's in it for you?
    Well, there are two expeditions in the frame; one to Mid Wales (Elan Valley area in July) the other in Ireland (Wicklow Mountains - August). If you can assess for me I will (well, the centre will) pay your travel expenses and put you up in accommodation. In short, you'll have two free trips.
    Though the Mid Wales expedition wouldn't be essential for you to come on as an assessor, if possible I would like you there to get to know the groups and more importantly to get to know me, my staff, and the way we work.

As long as you're in reasonable driving distance of Cardiff, I don't care where you're from. The only thing is I don't really want to pay flight or other travel costs from Scotland, but if it comes to it I will do.

We are a youth centre in Cardiff and I would like to think we have a reputation for delivering the highest quality of Award in Cardiff. That perhaps might not be the case, but we're certainly no cowboys. Furthermore, the participants are all very well behaved, keen, mature and sensible. They're also great fun, and a really enjoyable crowd to be around.

I am aware that I am able to get assessors from Wild Country Panels but I don't like the way that you can literally be landed with anyone. I have known of groups to be really unlucky with assessors that they have from Wild Country Panels and I don't want to get myself in the same situation. I also don't like the inpersonal manner in which that is all done.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask away.

Thanks.

HELP

aceredited gold assessor urgently needed. 12-17th July. Brecon Beacon area. 1 group of 7. VERY polite, compitent 16-17 year olds from Brighton

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Robs View Post
    </blockquote>Hi all,

Before we go any further, in order to assess a Gold D of E group you must have either your ML or have attended and passed the Wild Country Assessor Accreditation course. Having been on the course myself, I sympathise with others of you that have!

I am aware that I am able to get assessors from Wild Country Panels but I don't like the way that you can literally be landed with anyone. I have known of groups to be really unlucky with assessors that they have from Wild Country Panels and I don't want to get myself in the same situation. I also don't like the inpersonal manner in which that is all done.

To assess a Gold Dof E group one needs to be an accredited assessor who is either part of the Expedition Area Network ( formerly know as a Wild Country Panel) or else licensed to an Operating Authority. An ML is not sufficient.
    If you have criticism of the scheme then I suggest you get in contact with the DofE organisation and express your concerns there. I am a Assessor and the feedback we get is extremely positive. It might be the case that the assessors (who are all volunteers and devote a lot of time to the scheme) might have been unlucky to have been allocated the groups that you know and that the latter were not up to it.

What do you want? - to be able to pick and choose from the network, having prior knowledge of what demand there is at any specific point in time and who is available!

emerylangmo

Metal detectors are very helpful, it can be used to detect the underground metals and even can help you find the metal goods that you lost easily. and when it find the metal it will give you an indication, which is really amazing.