Thread: dehydrated food packs

dehydrated food packs

For a couple of hiking trips, in various US national parks and maybe also up Ben Nevis I'm planning to buy dehydrated food packs. I'm looking for pasta or rice dishes at 500-600kcal each that I'll rehydrate with hot water. I see that Summit to Eat falls in that calorie range. Do you have any recommendations for specific brands? Any idea where those might be on offer/cheaper than at Cotswolds?

If you're going to the US pick up some Packit Gourmet meals whilst you're there, 10x better than anything available over here.

Bla Band and LYO are okay from Base Camp Food

I unfortunately don't have the time for that, and (with dietary requirements) I don't want to trust that I find what I need easily. I've decided to such packs as the rural US cuisine doesn't offer what I need during my hikes during day time.

‹bermensch
    I use 800kcal Expedition foods for trips overseas where I'm using up more energy. Ordered from Base Camp Foods. Lots of choices. Some 600kcal versions also. Arrive return of post usually and can get a discount.
    My other favourite is the Summit Chicken Tikka with Rice at 688kcals.
    I buy this one in Cotswold and get 15% discount.
    Chose both these brands over other popular ones as supposedly these 2 are Palm Oil free....use rapeseed instead.
    These Freeze Dried meals are used on all overseas trips where there is no decent, higher calorie resupply available
    In the UK, so many more easy fix choices that are Way cheaper to buy.
    Would never go to the expense of the above to use on UK trips.........could'nt justify the cost.

Thanks a lot. I didn't consider looking for discount codes. Much better, this way.

I've had 600kcal meals before from my guide on a trip to Svalbard and I know they work for me (I'm fairly small and female). I think 800 would be too much for me, regardless of how tiresome. You are probably right thought for UK trips: too expensive potentially, but the right macros and for a hike that is very strenuous for me. I've not decided on it yet though.

Did you already pull the trigger on this? If not, Mountain House is an American based freeze-dried food manufacturer that has several entrees in the 480-750 kcal range.... Readily accessible (big box stores and via post), and large variety of meals. Lived on these for 10 days in the Alaskan bush in 2012.
    Ryan T.
    "Good things come to those who bait" GearLobo
    "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Cheap and easy option...

Quote Originally Posted by orbitolina View Post
    For a couple of hiking trips, in various US national parks and maybe also up Ben Nevis I'm planning to buy dehydrated food packs. I'm looking for pasta or rice dishes at 500-600kcal each that I'll rehydrate with hot water. I see that Summit to Eat falls in that calorie range. Do you have any recommendations for specific brands? Any idea where those might be on offer/cheaper than at Cotswolds?
    If your in the UK, simply pop down to Asda and buy some of their tasty "Pasta & Sauce" packets. Each pack weighs 120 grams and has around 494 Calories per 100 grams. They come in various flavours and cost just 45p each. They take 8 minutes to prepare, which is considerably less than the time it takes to boil rice, so you will save on your cooking fuel too.

Widdler
    You may want to look at Tent Meals, available direct or on Basecamp. I have been using them for a while now on and off and find them very tasty and filling with two Kcal versions a 500 and 800. They are CousCous based with fruit, veg nuts and other goodness. https://tentmeals.co.uk