Thread: Dying a Goretex Jacket.

Mini Goon

Dying a Goretex Jacket.

have aquired an old Goretex jacket from a Car Boot. Is a Berghaus Gemini. But bad colour. Anyone know if it can be dyed? says the exterior is Nylon.

Initiate
    in theory yes---but a lot of dyeing is done at very high temperatures

Mini Goon
    Cheers. Do you mean boiling water hot, or hotter.
    Forgot to mention that I want to make it a darker colour. Would it ruin the "breathability".

Initiate
    i have dyed cotton --wool---rayon with dylon in the washing machine on hotest wash---never nylon----i have looked up dylon dyes and i can t see anything suitable for nylon----commercial dyes in the small quantaties you need will probably be expensive and bear in mind that the base colour originally on the garment will not be completely hidden---more likely combined to some grunge colour---personally i wouldn t bother

Quote Originally Posted by lentenrose View Post
    i have dyed cotton --wool---rayon with dylon in the washing machine on hotest wash---never nylon----i have looked up dylon dyes and i can t see anything suitable for nylon----commercial dyes in the small quantaties you need will probably be expensive and bear in mind that the base colour originally on the garment will not be completely hidden---more likely combined to some grunge colour---personally i wouldn t bother
    Never dyed outerwear, but died plenty of denim jeans, shirts, and even shoes. There are always unexpecteds. I would learn to love the color, or trade.
    Ryan T.
    "Good things come to those who bait" GearLobo
    "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it"