Thread: How many people in the US go trekking/doing outdoor activities?

How many people in the US go trekking/doing outdoor activities?

Hi guys!

I am looking into how much people care about trekking and the great outdoors around the US, but I am not 100% sure what data points to use.

So far I am looking at number of campgrounds, amount of protected areas and how many people participate in outdoor activities (as a % of the population).
    Are there other data points I should look at?
    Thanks a lot for your ideas!

(Btw, I just joined! )

Mini Goon
    You would probably be better asking on a US forum. I would also consider how many people go on the long distance trails. A few of them need permits so you should manage to get that figure.
    Last edited by Scott Kinghorn; 25-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.

‹bermensch
    Penny

I trust that I've deduced your name correctly.

I don't know how much you know about hiking, the term universally used in the US, but there is no network of rights of way such as we are blessed with in England and Wales, and many hiking trails are artificial creations. I lived in Texas for three years and in 1984 bought a book about hiking in Texas which proudly stated that the state was fortunate to have sixteen hundred miles of trails. Texas is the size of France! In order to have a decent walk I had to drive sixty miles to the nearest state park.

Hiking trails are found in national and state parks, national and state forest and other recreational areas. They are highly organized and controlled, there is often an entrance fee, and a permit may be required.

The following non-exhaustive list of organizations may be able to help you:
    Sierra Club
    American Hiking Society
    Rails to Trails
    American Hiking Club
    American Discovery Trail Society

Hope this helps and good luck in your researches

Hugh Westacott
    For a preview of the 5th edition of my book The Walker’s Handbook; Everything you Need to Know about Walking in the British Isles click here. Then click on ‘Reviews of The Walker’s Handbook' in the Navigation panel to the right of the illustration of the cover.

Thanks a lot for the replies!
    We were looking for ideas in relation to a study of the best outdoor states: https://mightygoods.com/best-outdoor-states/
    Would love to hear what you think about it?

Not living in the U.S. just now, but have spent a lot of time there. All "National Parks" keep records of how many visitors they have (for funding reasons). Would suggest looking at records of how many annual visitors they get.
    Ryan T.
    "Good things come to those who bait" GearLobo
    "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it"

‹bermensch
    I'm unclear as to why you are contacting a British forum for information/advice/opinion about the best outdoor states in the US.

You don't seem to define 'outdoor activities' but I note that you don't include a number of outdoor pursuits such as swimming, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, hunting, and sailing, and I'm sure there are others. If these were included the picture might change.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Westacott View Post
    I'm unclear as to why you are contacting a British forum for information/advice/opinion about the best outdoor states in the US.

You don't seem to define 'outdoor activities' but I note that you don't include a number of outdoor pursuits such as swimming, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, hunting, and sailing, and I'm sure there are others. If these were included the picture might change.

Hugh
    Hey dot, is it important to see whether it is British or USA forum.Useful information is the main fact.