Thread: Insoles

Übermensch

Angry Insoles

Hi,
    I haven't posted on here in a while because I have been unable to do much walking because of a painful ankle that was eventually diagnosed as Achilles tendonitis. I was given some exercises to do by the hospital physio which seemed to be slowly improving the situation until last November when whilst doing the exercises I strained something else in the ankle. Thinking that the physio's approach was only treating the symptoms I went to see a podiatrist. She said my problems are caused by my gait and I'm getting custom orthotics made.

She has also told me to stop wearing sandals, flipflops and any footwear with quite a bit of flex in the toebox or along the length of the boot. She has also provided a list of recommended trainers to wear.

So here's my question. Can anyone recommend any boots that have an insole with a good level of support for the arch/instep? Looking at my boots and those of a friend I note that most boot insoles are flat or provide token support to the foot arch.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm also struggling to rebuild my stamina after giving up all exercise for about 9 months and yes I have joined a gym but I can do the exercise routine developed by my trainer but it still leaves me tired for the next ,2 days. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Übermensch
    Haglofs boots came with "Sole" insoles at one time, which were mouldable to your feet with heat.
    However, I stick off the shelf insoles in all my footwear except formal shoes.
    They are relatively cheap and last a long time.
    I have many brands but one of the cheapest and my personal favourite are the X-line range http://www.healthystep.co.uk/insoles.
    They include insoles for many conditions but I use the "pressure perfect" ones.
    The insoles with the highest arch support were some Dr Foot ones though they were a little uncomfortable for me and a little too high.

When I had NHS custom made insoles in the 1990s they were made of a sort of hard clear plastic/fibre glass material and I used to use them for everything, including my hillwalking boots and running shoes and just replaced the top cover by supergluing on odor eaters when they wore out.
    I really don't think there's any magic in getting custom ones and almost any heat mouldable insoles should do nearly as good a job. Or most of the other off the shelf ones as well unless your feet are really unusual (which I doubt as you're only needing them now).
    I have high arched feet by the way.
    Last edited by Fatwalker; 12-01-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Übermensch
    Hi Fatwalker, thanks for the reply. Actually I did start wearing orthotics 10 years ago but after about 2.5 years the ankle pain returned. I was then told by a physio to stop wearing them as he could solve my problem. He did, although I needed a session with him about once a year sometimes twice he kept me walking well for about 6 years, but now I am going back to using orthotics. When I showed the podiatrist my old orthotics she had me stand on them and adjusted my stance which revealed that they no longer provide enough support in the arch.

Thanks for the link to the website. They sell an ankle support that I have been using grade 3 support that I bought from Snow and Rock and I need another, but Snow and Rock don't have it on their website.

Übermensch
    I use orthotic insoles, and just put them in whatever shoes or boots I've got on at the time. They do take up a bit more volume than standard insoles, but I just take them along to the shop whenever I buy new boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cynic View Post
    So here's my question. Can anyone recommend any boots that have an insole with a good level of support for the arch/instep?
    Not really. With feet being as complex a shape as they are I think you're doing well to get the rough outline well catered for, never mind the instep/arch contours. So I'd look at boots that cater for the gross outline of your feet, broad and/or narrow in the right places, and add an orthotic of some description inside. That is, after all, what they're for.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cynic View Post
    I'm also struggling to rebuild my stamina after giving up all exercise for about 9 months and yes I have joined a gym but I can do the exercise routine developed by my trainer but it still leaves me tired for the next ,2 days. Am I expecting too much too soon?
    With only that information and not being a fitness expert I wouldn't want to hazard a guess, but it strikes me that 9 months after doing nothing much is a big hole and it will take some time to put muscle and general cardiovascular capacity back in place.
    What I would suggest, in case you're not doing it anyway, is build as much exercise in to day-to-day life as you can (ankle permitting). Work within 5 miles and you take a bus or car? Cycle instead. Always take the stairs rather than the lift if possible, and so on.

Pete.

Übermensch
    Major, I got my first pair of "pressure perfect" insoles from an NHS physio a few years ago when I suffered with sesamoiditis and they worked so well even after it healed that I decided to buy additional pairs for future use.
    So I suspect that Healthy Step are an approved supplier to the NHS.
    I expect that is why their prices are relatively low compared to many alternatives that you can buy in retail stores.
    Many people find their arches start to drop when they get older,particularly if they have high arched feet.
    Certainly that has happened to me.
    I find though that some orthotics like one of the the Dr foot ones are actually a bit too high in the arch for me now on one foot.
    Normally one foot will drop more than the other as your lead foot takes more impact when you walk or run.

Goon
    I have been using these for a few years now after having issues due to high arches and found them to be excellent tbh. They are heat mouldable by putting them in the oven then in your footwear and stand in em. You don't have to heat em if you don't want too though. The LP lower profile ones are thinner than the black ones. Most Boots etc come with poor insoles if you already have issues, as you have probably found. These insoles can affect fit so it's better getting the insoles then try em in potential footwear.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/search?q=Insoles