Thread: Boots / crampons for Scotland

Boots / crampons for Scotland

I'm looking at going to Scotland in December and doing some walks whilst there. My current winter walking boots are grade B1 and so suitable for C1 crampons. Will thes be okay or am I better off buying ones compatible with C2 / C3 crampons?

Mini Goon
    Depends where you will be walking and what you hope to achieve. The weather is very changeable in December and I would be happy in C1 crampons but would be watching the weather especially the thaw freeze cycles. I wouldn't be so keen to take on routes which require scrambling or climbing though.

Thank you Scott. We definitely wouldn't be doing any climbing/ scrambling. We're looking at staying near Fort William so walking in that sort of area. No intention of walking up Ben at that time of year though.

Crampons are no good without an axe and both are no good without knowledge of how to use correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by Diddi View Post
    Crampons are no good without an axe and both are no good without knowledge of how to use correctly...
    they should be used carefully

Widdler
    December in Scotland, huh? I planned a walking tour in November in Austrian Alpes, but the hotel staff persuaded me that it was not a good time due to changing weather and there might have been a lot of ice on the way. We used some ski lessons instead and it was very exciting, though I am just a beginner in skiing. I was also impressed by the nature and beauty of this ski resort in Austria we stayed at, I had never been in a place like that before. I guess November-February is not the best time for walking tours there, at least the skiing and the resort were memorable.