Thread: Winter camping

Mini Goon

Winter camping

Hi all,

Iím endeavouring to get out more over the winter for some wild camps. Iím hoping to tick off a few overnight camps around Wales for my ML logbook. This is with a view to taking the assessment in early spring.

Can anybody please offer advice on how I should aim to keep warm and safe in cold and stormy weather. I have a good selection of winter clothing such as base layers, fleeces and insulated jackets. I have it in mind to purchase a four season sleeping bag such as the rab ascent 900 and already have an exped synmat.

Would it be worthwhile upgrading my tent to a four season tent? I currently have a zephyros one and also a vango banshee.

Are the the tent heaters any good? Anything else I should consider?

many thanks.

Initiate
    hot water bottle and dry socks---nothing like warm feet for boosting morale

I don't wish to offend but if I was asking these questions I wouldn't consider myself competent enough to be taking the ML assessment in early spring. That's my view and you're perfectly welcome to take an alternative outlook. However I would point out that ML's are supposed to be competent with navigation, access and the environment, hazards and emergency procedures, equipment, expedition skills, weather, and background knowledge by the time of assessment. I'd say that means those coming up to assessment should by experience and knowledge be perfectly capable of answering with confidence all the questions you now ask.

Mini Goon
    No offence taken. I’m a novice when it comes to camping in the winter. I’d be grateful for any info. Cheers.

ML is nominally a summer qualification, though a friend of mine did his in quite wintery conditions!

A closed cell mat underneath the Synmat will improve the insulation; as lentenrose says, something to use as a hottie - like a Sigg - but make sure it's properly done up and put it in a sock so you don't burn yourself! Is the Zephyros One inner solid? If so, given its size it's probably going to be a reasonably warm tent anyway. I haven't ever used a tent heater, I rely on my sleeping bag, Sigg hottie, and a couple of little comforts - down socks (they have galoshes to fit over them for excursions out of the tent) and a down beanie for extra warmth on the head.

Camping in winter solo, I spend a fair amount of time in the sleeping bag catching up on zzzzs, it's warmer there!

Initiate
    you might be a novice now but it is easy to get experienced--- just get out and camp you will soon learn ---try somewhere near to car or even in back garden---i would try the tents out that you have got but spend money on a decent s/bag---i would want a warmer bag than the rab 900---but i do sleep cold

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by lentenrose View Post
    you might be a novice now but it is easy to get experienced--- just get out and camp you will soon learn ---try somewhere near to car or even in back garden---i would try the tents out that you have got but spend money on a decent s/bag---i would want a warmer bag than the rab 900---but i do sleep cold
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm keen to avoid putting myself and others at risk as much as possible... any suggestions on sleeping bags then? What's warmer than the Rab 900? I have the Rab Ascent 500 and find this a bit on the cold side having mainly used it in spring/summer.

Cheers.

Mini Goon
    You could get a liner bag or an overbag-phd do them both. Gives your bag about a 10 degree boost for not too much extra weight. Alternatively, wearing a jacket and thermals inside the bag will allow you to be more comfortable. I don't think tent heaters would be appropriate for your tents but I don't know much about them.