Thread: Wild camping in the Brecon Beacons

Mini Goon

Wild camping in the Brecon Beacons

Hello,

Do you have any suggestions on where I should consider to go wild camping in the Brecon Beacons?

So far, I have mainly been around the Ystradfellte reservoir or nearer Sennybridge. Ideally, I’d like somewhere near to the A470 as I’d be parking at the Storey Arms and walking around that area.

I have done my ML training and I’m keen to pursue the assessment in the spring. I need to get a few wild camps in the log book first though.

And advice/suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Top end of the Neuadd Reservoir, Llyn Cwm Llwch are good places round there, but I've also camped near the 642 trig at the southern end of the Neuadd ridge, just south west of Bwlch Duwynt and on Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, though none of those have running water nearby.

But if you're training for your ML assessment, look at the map for yourself and work out routes and potential wildcamping spots for yourself. Study the 1:25k map, but the Geograph website is also very useful for looking at the terrain in more detail, and Google Earth is useful too!

Why not pitch up at Nant Cwm Llwch car park just below Corn Du , it is a farmers land and sometimes he comes round and asks for a small payment depending on weather.

I have pitched there quite a lot always in off season and used it as a basecamp for exploring you can have a fire as well if you want , river runs through site so plenty of water or you can park there and walk up to Llyn Cwm Llwch and pitch there

‹bermensch
    I really must echo what Kate has written!

I made my first backpacking trip ion 1948 at the age of sixteen with an unsupervised group of school friends and have been walking, backpacking and wild camping ever since. I'm entirely self-taught and had to learn from my mistakes because training courses for walkers were not widely available until the 1970s. By then I was a seasoned hillwalker and competent navigator in both lowland and upland countryside when the only maps available were the old one-inch to the mile that showed neither field boundaries nor rights of way.

Anyone who has been on a ML training course, and is waiting to be assessed, should not be asking for advice on where to wild camp. Work out your proposed route and estimate the area in which you will be when you want to pitch your tent. The contours on your map will show you where the ground is likely to be reasonably level, and provide information about the terrain (rocky, marshy etc). If you are using a water filter you will probably want to be near a stream, but not too close lest it should turn into a torrent overnight. Consider the weather forecast and wind direction. If the weather is inclement you will probably need some shelter such as the lee of a wood or a wall. It's really not difficult because the clues are on the map!

Good luck!

Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh Westacott; 12-12-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Mini Goon
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I think I’ve parked at nant cwm llych before. Nothing like a bit of useful local knowledge.

You're welcome! And if you fancy a night nav session or revision at ropework for steep ground in the Beacons before your assessment, drop me a personal message :-)