Thread: Word for walking without a plan?

Ultra King

Word for walking without a plan?

It's annoying me now. There's a good word for just walking out without a plan to see where you'll end up. IIRC Skip was known for that.

It's something like travaining but I can't remember.

‹bermensch
    Stravaiging

Hugh

Ah, so that's what I've been doing all my life...

‹bermensch
    The etymology of 'stravaiging' is interesting. It's a rare dialect word used mostly in Scotland, the north of England and Ireland. Some dictionaries do not list it including my copy of the two-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (3rd ed 1959). I also have a copy of the authoritative twenty-volume Oxford English Dictionary 2nd ed 1989) where it is entered under the verb 'stravaig'. The suggested origin is from the aphetic form 'extravage' or 'extravague' (the term 'aphetic' is used for a word that has gradually and unintentionally lost the first unaccented vowel as in 'venture' from 'adventure', and 'squire' from 'esquire'.

'Extravage' is described in the same dictionary as 'obsolete and rare', derived from the mediaeval Latin 'extravagari' meaning 'to go beyond the sphere of duty; to digress'. Also 'to talk wildly, to ramble'.

Hugh

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall PC View Post
    It's annoying me now. There's a good word for just walking out without a plan to see where you'll end up. IIRC Skip was known for that.

It's something like travaining but I can't remember.
    Bimble is another word for an aimless wander.

‹bermensch
    ‘Bimble’ does not appear in either of my Oxford dictionaries. However, it does on the on-line Oxford Dictionaries where it is defined asA leisurely walk or journey’. Its use dates only from the 1980s and the synonyms are saunter, amble, wander, meander, ramble, dawdle, promenade, walk, go for a walk, take a walk, roam, traipse, stretch one's legs, get some exercise, get some air, take the air.’

‘Stravaig’ is much older dating from 1801 and ‘extravage’, from which it is derived, from 1690.

I have used both terms and have a feeling, although without any evidence, that they are not synonyms. I suspect that a bimble is a short aimless walk whereas if you are stravaiging you are undertaking a longer journey.

Hugh

I use bimble just because I like it. My bimbles can be anything from a couple of hours long to several days. Stravaiging always sounds far too worthy to my mind.

Sounds right. No idea where I picked it up from but I've always felt that bimble meant a notably short/lazy walk.

The idea of a multi day bimble is intriguing (But makes sense if you're really not trying to get anywhere in particular.).

Mini Goon
    Bimble is a word I'd like to add to my vocabulary.

Initiate
    nautical variation-----as in----i am going for a gimbal

Goon
    Read 'Hamish's Mountain Walk' by Hamish Brown; the first single journey over all the Munros. He uses the word 'stravaig' a few times

Quote Originally Posted by lentenrose View Post
    nautical variation-----as in----i am going for a gimbal
    Fantastic. will begin using this at once.
    Ryan T.
    "Good things come to those who bait" GearLobo
    "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it"