Thread: Lochaber holiday

Lochaber holiday

'Reading Week' is a week when we have no teaching, half way through the semester. It's not a 'half term' because the students are supposed to be working on essays, preparing for seminars etc. But I frequently escape for a bit of time away from the desk.
    This year it was to Banavie where a few veteran OMers and myself had got a self-catering house - with a hot tub - booked.

I had two outings in my sights: the Aonachs, and Beinn na Lap.

Jo and I tackled the Aonachs in the first snowfall of the winter - not a huge amount, but enough to start building up some baby cornices, and in clag, which made for the need to concentrate on old-fashioned nav (map, compasses, pacing) across the plateau until finally Aonach Mor looked out of the mist, and we started seeing other walkers on the tops. Here we made the decision to continue on to Aonach Beag, and were rewarded by the clag clearing pretty quickly, leaving us with stunning views of Ben Nevis, the Grey Corries, the Mamores and further afield, all covered from about 600m high in a thick dusting of snow. Not often you get days like that and we made the most of it. As well as being Munros, the Aonachs are also Kates (a Kate is a hill with a height - in feet or metres - that I find aesthetically pleasing, so the 1221 and 1234m hills were great ticks on my list!)

Two days later and it was Beinn na Lap - partly because I was feeling lazy and it's an easy Munro, but also because of the fun of taking the train, getting off in the middle of nowhere and climbing a mountain. Grey to start with, the skies cleared again giving us fantastic views as we slogged up the sloppy hillside until we hit the ridge and things got a little more solid underfoot. After a quick lunch on top, taking in the views, we descended all the way along the ridge to join the track that runs from Loch Treig to Loch Ossian which was longer, but a better option to avoid the slop-fest. A quick visit to the (closed) youth hostel whilst waiting for the train, and then back to Banavie and the hot tub.

Photos on my Google Photos page.

‹bermensch
    Do any of your students work on essays etc?

Yeah.
    Well, some of them do...

Looks great Kate
    Lucky too with the white stuff ....
    Hope you are well
    Last edited by Diddi; 21-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Mini Goon
    Stunning views indeed - nice photos. It makes me itch to get back up to Scotland myself.