Thread: Summary of a few weeks in the Outer Hebrides

Mini Goon

Talking Summary of a few weeks in the Outer Hebrides

Here's a quick overview of a few glorious weeks I spent in the Outer Hebrides. Popular with Germans and geologists - I even met a German geologist.

Scarista Beach from Ceapabhal, Isle of Harris & Lewis on Flickr

It was brilliant for walking and cycling. Isolation, wilderness, wildlife (loads of birds), beautiful beaches, mountains and scenery. Sometimes I'd go a couple of days without seeing anyone, but whoever I did speak to (whether local or a visitor) was wonderful. Some of the best campsites I've stayed at, and great wild-camps.

The only really busy places were St Clement's Church in Harris and the Callanish Stones in Lewis (which I ended up at on Summer Solstice without realising).

My highlights walk-wise were two days including Uisinis bothy and Beinn Mhor on South Uist, and the wonderful beaches on the Udal Peninsula, North Uist. I also took a daytrip out to St. Kilda, which was an incredible place - I'd love to go back and camp there.

Beinn Mhor Summit Ridge, Isle of South Uist on Flickr

One thing that struck me was every island has its own identity - no two look the same. Even Harris and Lewis as part of the same island, weren't alike in a physical sense.

It's not all outdoors - there were excellent galleries, museums and historic buildings too.

Dun Carloway Broch Entrance, Isle of Lewis & Harris on Flickr

Lots more here for anyone who is interested: https://alexharford.uk/photos/scotla...outer-hebrides

Mini Goon
    Great photos , did the Hebridean Way in August this year. Disappointed with some sections but on the whole the experience was fantastic. Will be returning to do some hills and more bunkhouses