Thread: TR- just in case anyone is still reading OM Forums . . .

TR- just in case anyone is still reading OM Forums . . .

I've finally completed the Wainwrights! It took me five years but, hey, why rush these things?

I saved the best until last - my 214th Wainwright was Blencathra via Sharp Edge. I walked with Teesdale Viking (Smoky) and Dave 'n' Sara on Sunday 9th July. We were accompanied by Little Leo the terrier.

We started after lunch having waited for the morning cloud to clear the summit. Leaving one car at Threlkeld, we drove the other to a layby on the A66 east of Scales. Our route was Mousethwaite Combe, Scales Tarn, Sharp Edge, Foules Crag and Halls Fell Top. From there, Dave and Sara took their leave and descended Doddick Fell back to their car while the Viking and I traversed west to bag Gategil Fell Top and Knowe Crags. We then descended the zigzag path down Blease Fell to our car in Threlkeld.

The highlight of the day was undoubtedly Sharp Edge - magnificent to look at and exhilarating to walk along but over all too soon.

Well done ya old fekker �� and was a good choice to finish off with.
    Did Halls fell ridge on Blencathra the Sunday before from Scales, another good scramble route up.
    Hope your well Skip.

Well done Some might odd things in that list of course, but an awful lot of nice hills as well.

Suspect there's still a few lurking/checking every now and then out of pure force of habit.....

Well done Skip & I am gutted I could not be there to celebrate with you , hope to see you on future walks , cheers Tony

Good grief! A post about doing something disrupting the smooth flow of posts about gear (buying/selling/slagging/praising).

Someone fetch a moderator!

I hope you have some other, unfulfilled ambitions. At your age that's important.

Just popped in for my monthly lurk at OM in the vain hope things have picked up.

Well done Skip! Will be down that way with the club at the end of the month and will hopefully be going up Sharp Edge again.

Many congratulations, Skip! Great last hill to do on the list, Sharp Edge is fun, but short!

First time I've dropped by in ages.
    Nice to see there's still a little bit of life left in the old… erm... Forum
    Well done Skip — something to brag about (at last)

Ooh an OM revival... most traffic in a long while !!

Well done Skip

‹bermensch
    Well Done Skip, great to hear you've finished them, if I hadn't moved house to get further away from you I would have joined you ���� Hopefully see you later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddi View Post
    Well done ya old fekker �� and was a good choice to finish off with.
    Did Halls fell ridge on Blencathra the Sunday before from Scales, another good scramble route up.
    Hope your well Skip.
    diddi, you can't call Skip Old ����

diddi, you can't call Skip Old ����[/QUOTE]

A bit too far sooth for me , a new list'll be in the making I'm sure, Good going Skip,Tv n assorted dugs .

Blimey! I've just looked in on OM again expecting no response and - hey presto - replies!

Thank you for the kind - well, mostly kind - comments. I've missed y'all. No, really ...

Emboldened by your apparent interest, here's another mini trip report of last Monday when I snuck off work and nipped up to north Wales.

I'd intended to do a substantial walk in the northern Carneddau but the plan got curtailed due to a later-than-planned start, too much time gazing at waterfalls and the cloud coming down.

My starting point was Aber Falls waterfall about two miles south of Abergwyngregyn village. There is a carpark at grid ref SH 663 720 from where I walked to the waterfall. After quite a while exploring I followed a minor path steeply up the east side of the fall. At the top, the valley leveled out, steep-sided and quite sheltered.

When I got level with Bera Mawr I swung east up the side of the valley and walked steeply up to the summit of Llwytmor at 2,785 feet. But by then the cloud had descended and there was little visibility so I decided to walk back down. The return route was straightforward heading northwest across the rock-strewn grass until the boundary fence of a felled conifer plantation which I followed to the valley bottom.

All in all, a lot less than I intended to do but a very pleasant walk nonetheless.

Ultra King
    Well done on the ticklist. Great hill to finish on but really surprised it lasted to the end.

I did all the good ones before I'd heard of the Wainwright list. About 10 years after I heard about the list I saw a full list in a magazine. I went through them all and realized I was two thirds through it. Cue ticking. BTW my last was a little hill not far from yours, Souter Fell! What a nothing hill! Trouble was I'd backed off from several sneaky bagging trips to get it due to bad winters, loss if light in winter, etc. Still I celebrated it all the same.

BTW what is your next list? Wainwright outliers? Marilyns? Donalds? County highs? Postboxes? Trig points? I thought my completed Wainwrights list would lead to some other list but it completely cured me if bagging things. I now enjoy the Lakeland hills, indeed any hills, a lot more now. Each to their own.

One alternative is to do the Wainwrights again. Last time I looked the record was 21 rounds! However that'll be different now because there was a battle going on.between two men. One guy had been many rounds ahead of any competitor for many years. Then a pretender came along with several rounds in one year to jump straight in at number two and close to the leader. I think.they both increased their tally by 4 rounds very quickly after the appearance of the "young" pretender (both retirees I think).

BTW I've been away in the cycling and family circles for a long time now. What has happened to OM? It's gone quiet. I wonder where ppl have gone to online.

Once again Skip congrats on your compleation. Which was your favourite hill/favourite bagging?

well done TBS

Well done TBS. My first round took me 17 years (but I do live on the South Coast)