Thread: A what tent question

Initiate

A what tent question

I'm on the hunt for a tent that'll do a couple of jobs reasonably well, whilst remaining relatively cheap. Budget is around £100-150.

First job: wild camping. I want to take my missus and kid wild camping. Only fairly fair weather stuff, but still up high so a reasonable amount of weather resistance required and preferably a flexible porch situation (either two, or the ability to open two ways) for cooking flexibility if the weather changes. I accept there's going to a weight penalty; up to 3kg I can live with as there won't be huge amounts of walking involved, but closer to 2.5kg would be preferred. I'll be switching guys to dyneema and using my lighter pegs etc which'll save a bit of weight, but I'm not expecting miracles on the weight front - I can suck up the extra kilos if need be.

Second use will be for weekend campsite trips where I'll be climbing in to sleep but otherwise not really use it. Reasonably quick pitching is the only priority on that front.

My memory of tents is rusty, but I found myself looking at the Vango Banshee 300 - I remember the 200 as having a solid reputation for weatherproofing. The 3 comes in around 2.8kg.
    I had a quick look at Wild Country options but nothing is jumping out at me - if it were two of us, I'd consider the Z2 but it's just too small for 3.

Any thoughts on the Banshee 300? Or others I should be considering?

The Banshee 300 is very well regarded, and a DoE staple. I guess the major downside of it is the side entrance, which makes it harder for people to get in and out than a front entry. The Nova 300 allows for this, and probably has better interior space with the height at both ends, but it's an extra 500g before you start lightening it.

Have a look also at the Wild Country Hoolie 3 which is very similar to the Nova and is a nice tent which you can find just a few quid outside your budget.

If money was no issue, I'd be looking at the Wild Country Blizzard 3 which brings good living space as well as being within weight requirements, but well outside budget, I'm afraid.

Do try to look at these tents pitched before buying, so you can check out what it'll be like for your family. Any decent retailer should pitch the tents in store for you.

Goon
    Vango tents are well made and good value for money, you should have no problems if you choose one of those

Wild Country is Terra Nova's budget brand; nothing wrong with the tents themselves, but Terra Nova have a poor reputation for customer service - see elsewhere on this forum

Go Outdoors have their own brand, OEX, which is quite good. They might have something suitable

Most manufacturers now only give you the minimum of pegs, so whatever you get, you might need to buy more or better pegs. Check before you use it in anger

Initiate
    Interesting. On paper it looks like the Nova 300 - which is only available through GO - has fractionally more room, although the arch shape makes me think that the Hoolie 3 will have the same headroom but across a greater width of the tent.
    I can pickup the Hoolie 3 for £120 which seems very reasonable, the Nova 300 for £150. Any pressing reason to go with the latter over the former given the price difference?

Pegs wise I've got tonnes, this'll be my third tent and fifth shelter. I normally use Rig tarps for wild camping, so I've a good mix of Ti and other lightweight pegs plus a mix of dyneema/clamcleats to replace the stock options anyway.

The Nova's interior is 5cm wider, otherwise the Hoolie is slightly larger (235cm long inner against Nova's 220, 110cm porch against Nova's 90). £120 is a good price for the Hoolie, personally I'd go for that. You will find some negative comments about Terra Nova on here (Wild County's parent company), but there are others (including myself) who've had no problems with their customer service. Vango customer service is legendary.

Some swings and roundabouts there!

Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    I guess the major downside of it is the side entrance, which makes it harder for people to get in and out than a front entry.
    Interesting. I would have thought most people would find a side entrance easier. Certainly, the older I've got, the more true that is for me ��

‹bermensch
    Side entrance way larger than any pokey front entry tent......

If you HAVE to go down the dreaded Terra Nova/Wild Country road with all their bad customer service, then look at the Helm series....2 and 3 person.......
    Reminds me of the Phoenix Phreerangers etc of the past.
    So many more choices on the market now, lighter weights than those old Vangos of yesteryear..sorry Kate...Ha,ha....
    if you look on Aliexpress, you will be amazed...cheap options that are unbelievably, pretty well made.....see Trek-Lite Forum for ideas......
    Well you did ask........
    Smilie
    Last edited by Boos; 08-07-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redscotti View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought most people would find a side entrance easier. Certainly, the older I've got, the more true that is for me ��
    It's ok for the person at the door - the person behind though has to climb over someone to get to the door.... With front entrance, you stand a better chance of getting out without crushing the other person in the tent :-)

Initiate
    I ordered the Hoolie 3 and it's currently sitting in my back garden. Nice, simple design/pitching and it looks like it'll pack down well. I just need to swap over the guylines. The pegs provided seem reasonably light and I'll probably keep a few for softer ground. Overall it looks like a decent 3 season tent with a good porch and plenty of room.
    I'm not planning on taking it out in a gale, but what's the consensus on simple two pole tunnel tents for wind resistance if they're kept pitched arse into the wind?

Boos, I daren't ask this as I hadn't really considered it and don't need it...but is there a light, 2 man option from AliExpress that springs to mind? I had a quick mooch through the forums but it seems pretty active thread wise and I didn't see anything obvious.

Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    It's ok for the person at the door - the person behind though has to climb over someone to get to the door.... With front entrance, you stand a better chance of getting out without crushing the other person in the tent :-)
    That's why you go for side entry tent with two doors.... several around.

‹bermensch
    Totally agree Redscotti.
    from a dedicated one side entry Cuben fibre shelter addict

Mini Goon
    I have the Nova 300 and have spent 7 nights over 3 wild camps in it with my OH so far. Some heavy wind and rain chucked in for good measure.
    This has been Dartmoor, Lake District and Brecon Beacons and done in Sept, October and April and this July.
    I saw the tent erected in GO and liked the size of the porch and that it came with porch ground sheet.
    Large enough to store 2 X 60l rucksacks, shoes and a space for cooking in.
    No plans on changing it anytime soon. I did buy another set of pegs however but still keep the originals with it (weight is negligible)
    Would be OK with a child in there too if you go head to toe. No good for 3 adult unless an emergency or aren't bothered about comfort.
    I know you've bought a Hoolie but Just for a comparison. Was £135.