Thread: Burner and stand for a French army cup

Mini Goon

Burner and stand for a French army cup

Hi all

Got my Jetboil Minimo which is fine for two of us and our wild camps.
    Just picked up a French army mess cup (see below) and want to get a burner and stand of some sort that will fit inside it for another option for cooking / emergency should the Jetboil fail or even just to cook two lots at once.
    One of the folding Esbit stoves (or equivalent) will fit inside along with some tablets so I could either use it for the tablets or use it with wood which I see can be done easily.
    I've bought a lid for it so it can all be tied up in one bundle or in a mesh bag.
    I'd like everything (bar wood fuel) to fit in the cup (the folding esbit stove option appears to over this.)
    Internal dimensions are roughly 3" x 4.5" by 3.5"
    I want it all to fit in the cup, any other suggestions?

Cheers

R5gCzWu.jpg

Goon
    It looks like a typical military style mug. There will be lots of lids, stands, and other accessories available, but being military they might not be very light or compact

I've had a quick surf myself, and the Esbit style stove seems as good as any but Search & Surf as there are several variations on style & price. There is also a skeleton style titanium solid fuel stove

Search & Surf on Google, Amazon & Ebay for -

NATO Crusader cup
    BCB Firedragon stove
    solid fuel camping stove
    Esbit titanium stove

Or you could try making something yourself from a fizzy drinks can

You could probably fit in some windproof matches as well. The small packs of 10 that come with British Army 24 hour ration packs would be ideal
    Last edited by Zuludog; 06-07-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Goon
    I've had another browse round. You can get a platform or holder for a Crusader cup that fits on top of an Esbit or NATO style solid fuel stove; it has a cut-out to take the cup

Also Search for -
    Highlander Hexi Micro Stove and Boilex stoves, especially the Pyramid

Why have I done all this research on your behalf? Well, you've got me interested; I might get something like that myself

Goon
    It's me again; you'll be tired of hearing from me!

I've just remembered - several years ago I did the northern part of the Pennine Way and there was an army style solid fuel stove & tablets in one of the refuges on the Cheviots, presumably left by the local squaddies

We tried it, and it worked OK but it gave off noticeably more fumes than our gas stove. We had to use it well into the doorway
    So it might not be suitable to use in a tent porch

Mini Goon
    Cheers for the info. Found a cheapo folding pocket stove I'd bought a couple of years ago. Looks like a knock-off esbit one but a bit bigger and doesn't quite fit in the cup (which is annoying.)
    I tried it out to test and a tablet just about brings 450ml of water to a boil but this was in calm and warm conditions in the back garden.
    Am off over the weekend for a camp so in a rush I bought the official esbit pocket stove for around 8 which will fit in the cup and can add twigs etc to bump up the heat if needed.
    I think I'll also get/make a small penny stove and and store it in the cup with a little bottle of alcohol and lighter. Can use the penny stove with the esbit as the stand and it's a bit more controllable should I need to use it anywhere near a tent.
    I also noticed the tablets do stink!