Thread: Fuel in Turkey

Fuel in Turkey

Hi there,
    Just wondering if people managed to find fuel for an alcohol stove in Turkey. I tried hardware shops, chemists, supermarkets and petrol stations with no luck. This is the first time I haven't managed to find something to burn. In Oman I had to burn Surgical Spirits as alcohol is banned, but it burnt. I choose alcohol as you can usually buy it easily! I ended up with some sort of BBQ fuel which needed priming with some windproof matches then when lit created a flamethrower - very interesting and great for hair removal... Anybody had any luck?
    Thanks
    David

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if people managed to find fuel for an alcohol stove in Turkey. I tried hardware shops, chemists, supermarkets and petrol stations with no luck. This is the first time I haven't managed to find something to burn. In Oman I had to burn Surgical Spirits as alcohol is banned, but it burnt. I choose alcohol as you can usually buy it easily! I ended up with some sort of BBQ fuel which needed priming with some windproof matches then when lit created a flamethrower - very interesting and great for hair removal... Anybody had any luck?
    Thanks
    David
    Done a fair bit of walking on the coast - Lycian Way and Carian Trail. Only used a burner on the latter and it was a meths burner. This was a few years back and judging by the few other trekkers we saw, the friendlyness of the locals and state of some of the paths, hardly anyone else was walking it. This meant that we did manage to find meths, but often it was the last/only bottle in the shops. Sometimes hidden out back and sometimes kept with the drinking alcohol. Always covered in a thin layer of dust. A couple of times we were given bottles by kind locals who were in the shop and went to get some of their own when they realised the shop didn't have any, and once by a guy sitting on his porch that we asked where we might buy some. Anyone walking that trail after us would have found very slim pickings. Don't know how often most of the shops get resupplied, but probably not often. If I did it again I would look at using something that could burn petrol. In bigger towns the supermarkets sometimes had meths. I think we got some from a petrol station once as well. It's purple and comes in a bottle like the ones here.

We also tried to pick up medical spirit once, but the pharmacist said they weren't allowed to sell it. There were no outdoors shops on the Carian Trail, but from what I hear the Lycean Way is now really popular so might be possible to get other kinds of fuel along there.

We tried various words when asking for it of which I think 'ispirto' was the most useful (though I think it just means spirit). I usually showed them the stove or at least a lighter and they usually understood what I wanted.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Last edited by Pedr; 11-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Widdler
    post on trek-lite.com, theres a guy on there who lives and treks in Turkey

Okay thanks for the replies - maybe I was just a bit unlucky!
    I will try trek-lite.
    David

As an update: Just back from walking a bit more of the Lycian Way. Lemon cologne (80%) which is readily available in supermarkets and small shops burns well.
    David