Thread: Walking in the Massif Central

Mini Goon

Walking in the Massif Central

Hi All,

I'm heading off to the Massif Central in mid-June, for a few weeks or until we can't stand living in a tiny tent together, whichever comes first. The plan is to start at le Puy on the Stevenson's way (GR70), go south and then deviate, either through the drovers paths towards the Camargue or head West towards the Pyrenees. We will be camping and wild camping where circumstances allow.

Any comments, stunning areas to head towards, areas to avoid, comments on wild camping in the Parc de Cevennes, etc very gratefully received.

Also, does anyone have experience of buying IGN 1:25,000 maps in the towns around there? I'm not planning to buy 10 maps at £12.99 a map (and 90g each) for the GR70 which seems to be well marked but would want a map if I deviate into the less trodden parts of the Massif. I'm assuming maps can be got in Florac, as it is the gateway to the Tarn Gorges,...

Thank you

Clare

‹bermensch
    Each tourist office seemed to have maps of the local area..much cheaper too, than pre purchase from The Map Shop.

Mini Goon
    Thanks Boos. Do you mean that the tourist offices sold full IGN 1:25,000 maps or that you found the local free maps at the tourist office sufficient for purpose?

Best

Clare

‹bermensch
    I found IGN maps in French Alps Tourist offices. Chamonix is overloaded with them.
    Gavarnie's Tourist Office had plenty of that area.

Haven't walked that much in the other Parks you mention....

Mini Goon
    report back for anyone who is interested. First, as far as maps go, yes you can get them in tourist offices but there aren't many tourist offices in the Cevennes, nor much of anything. Secondly, I didn't actually need a map as was walking the Stevenson's way which is very well marked. I used downloaded maps on Viewranger on my phone on the few occasions that we got lost trying to get out of town in the right direction. Thirdly, the Stevenson's way is rather boring, at least until you enter the Cevennes National Park at Mont Lozere, because there is a lot of road walking and wide track walking. From Mont Lozere onwards it looked to be fantastic but we had to stop at Pont Montvere (beautiful village, good restaurant, lovely campsite by the river and rock pools) because I had problems with my passport and had to return home to get a new one.

My passport will be sorted out next week. Was going to return to finish the last four days of the Stevenson and then go west through the Haute Languedoc but have decided to start the GR10 instead and see how far we get before the weather turns.