Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Munro-baggers fakes?

Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

For goodness sake. It's just a list. What's the harm in it?

There's no reason to close it - no-one above who answered yes to your question or seconded the motion offered any good reason why the list should be closed. Please explain why?

It's a harmless historic record. As Duncan says it's a British sort of thing - a little reward for those who seek it to get their name in a list for a considerable life-achievement. If you don't want to have your name on the list fine. Ultimately meaningless, but when my time comes in a couple of years I'll happily write off to the SMC and get my name on the list. It's not why I climb hills, it's a bit of harmless fun, no more no less.

I've come to the conclusion that Cameron is not a real person but a troll, who just comes out with these knee jerk statements to start a flame war.

Look at his other postings on cairns, memorials on mountains, lightweight.

All ramblings of a troll, and so many people have fallen for it.

Don't Trolls eat rocks? So that explains the disappearing cairns ;-)

Having done the Munros twice and having submitted this to the SMC each time I obviously have no objection to the list. I think it's a bit of harmless fun and "doing the Munros" a bit of harmless eccentricity. If people want to do it to get on a list fine. Why shouldn't they? I didn't do it for that reason. I did it because I enjoy climbing hills and I like visiting different ones.

The Munros list is of course a nonsense, especially in these metric times. After all, who would set out to list let alone climb all the hills over 914 metres high? But as the list exists and people enjoy climbing the Munros lets keep it. It does no harm.

As to only unguided ascents counting I think that's taking the whole thing far too seriously. There are no rules other than visiting the summits of each Munro.

Well I've not read the other replies yet, but (fx: seething with indignation!) to me it seems obvious that a person's climbed a hill whether they've been guided up it or not.

However, I do feel that a person hasn't actually climbed the Inn Pinn (or is that In Pin/Inn Pin/In Pinn?) if they've been literally pulled up the front on a rope. I don't really see why being lowered down should be a problem.

Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

Why on earth should they do that? If the list exists at all it presumably exists to name the people who've completed the Munros. Either there's a list or there isn't, it seems to me, and if there is then it's going to get larger as people continue to complete. If the new peeps aren't going to be on it then what's the point of having one at all?

p.s. good thread, Cameron Something interesting to discuss!

Goon
    Would walking up the Ben Nevis motorway alone in good weather not count as a guided walk! You could hardly go wrong!I think tackling a proper mountain challenge with a guide is more of an achievement.

How about this scenario.. I recently did Ben Aligin and to be honest wasn't to sure about the horns. I met up with a like minded walker on the way and we agreed to give it a go together. Turned out he lead the way on the steeper sections. Was that a guided walk? For me the achievement and buzz was not diminished by this approach.

Pulling somebody up the front of the In Pinn on a rope would be extremely painful! That rock is rough! Many people climb the In Pinn by its easiest route - the East Ridge - tied to a rope for safety, though this doesn't actually provide much real protection as a fall would result in a long pendulum, the big drops being either side rather than behind you. You still have to physically climb the rock even if tied to a rope so you're still climbing the In Pinn.

Inn Pinn (or is that In Pin/Inn Pin/In Pinn?)

Inaccessible Pinnacle, I think.

So 'In Pinn' perhaps ?

As opposed to the 'Inn Pinn', a watering hole on the banks of the River Pinn, near Pinner (I imagine!) )

Sounds like a load of elitest nonsense to me, much typical of what you'd expect from the MCofS.
    There's a few similar examples of this kind of attitude in an excellent book I've just finished reading 'Rock and Roll Mountains' by Graham Forbes, an ex-rock star/businessman.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Just to clarify that theMCoS and
    SMC are not the same and it is the latter that keeps the Munro list!

"Can you claim to have climbed a mountain, a Munro or otherwise, if you have been guided up it?"

What a load of nonsense! A good analogy would be 2 people doing a rock climb - one is the leader, the other seconds. But have they both climbed the route? Of course, but in discussions between the climbers it would be obvious whether one had lead or seconded the route. To non-climbers, there would be little difference.

As other people have said, what about all the people who have climbed Everest, the vast majority would not have been the first to the summit?

I'm with Chris Townsend on this, if you have physically done it without being pulled up it then you have climbed it.

LLoyd, I think you'll find the idea comes from the Munro Society - certainly not the MCoS! (I'll declare an interest as I'm an elected representative on the latter).

Goon
    Are you lovers of mountains or lovers of lists? Mountaineers or trainspotters? Who cares. This list seems to be similar to the list of people who complete the Appalchian Trail in that if you don't follow all the official blazes you haven't really completed it even after 2000 miles. Total bollox.

The Munroists lists isn't like that at all. It's just a list of those who have climbed the Munros who submit their names. No one asks how they climbed the Munros. I don't think the Appalachian Trail is like that either as I know quite a few people who have hiked it who didn't follow the white blazes religiously the whole way.

The attitude behind all this isn't new. In 1978 I was told by two walkers I met that my walk along the Pennine Way wouldn't "count" if I stepped off the footpath at any point. They were shocked when I went off to see Housesteads Roman Fort.

In Pinn makes sense - thanks Ken

I certainly agree on the pulling up front, Chris: I was just attempting to cover all eventualities! Someone pulled me a few inches up a climb last weekend (I couldn't reach the next handhold) and I think they're probably still in traction!

In 1978 I was told by two walkers I met that my walk along the Pennine Way wouldn't "count" if I stepped off the footpath at any point. They were shocked when I went off to see Housesteads Roman Fort.

Lol!

It's a totally different debate, but somehow that reminds me of when I first started at uni and for some weird reason people were asking each other what religion they were. (The standard enquiry seemed to be, "What subject are you doing, what hall are you in and what religion are you?") When I said Catholic I was told more than once that that didn't mean I was a Christian. Umm.....!

Whilst being easy in the technical sense the Inaccessible Pinnacle, to give its full name, is very dramatic and extremely exposed. Not for nothing did the Victorians say it had an infinite drop on one side and an even longer one on the other! It really feels like that. I think any walker who makes it to the top should feel a sense of achievement, whether they were on the end of a rope or not. And of course once up on the top you do have to get down again. My very first abseil was from the In. Pinn.

I hope to do the In Pinn at some stage fairly soon, but whichever way I go up I know for sure that I'm going to be on the end of a very tight rope!

‹bermensch
    I've done them twice too .. and I'm proud of it! Just waiting for my second certificate. And actually I did climb to the very top of the InPinn. Twice! And I touched the top of every summit cairn. Twice! So there! I don't think it matters whether you solo'd Sgurr Dearg blindfold or were really rather grateful that the rope was a pulled a little tighter than some pompous, judgemental curmudgeon says it ought to be. Writing that letter to the Clerk of the List is one of life's nicer pleasures, and I hope lots more people get the chance to do it.

As a Scot (heuch), I'm proud that we have something that attracts tourists to this fair land, and also encourages couch-potatoes like me to get off their fat *rses and see part of the land.

As to bagging things, whether it's Munros, Everest, PCT, or playing cricket for your county, it's not the destination, but the journey.

The Daily Mail can sod off and keep their oppinionated nonsense out of our tourist business. Grrr.