Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Munro-baggers fakes?

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > I would like my name on the Completers list

Oooh, they won't let you on it unless you can spell it 'properly', you know...

Compleatly meaningless...

Just a quick question, how many people in the Daily mail office are actual hillgoers? Over the years I have done a goodly few of the munroes but have never heard of the DM sending staff out to do the rounds, as it where. Who, in that heady world of journalism, has the audacity to suggest such a thing??????????????

Lol - Give the Captain a Blue Peter badge.

I'm not bothered about being on the Compleater's list.

However, I am taken by the idea of finishing TWO seperate rounds of the Munros on the same hill on the same day.

Climb 283 Munros, leaving the Cairnwell for another day. Climbing said 283 Munros for a second time.

Then on fateful day, trundle up the Cairnwell in the morning to finish Round 1, before making the short trip down to the car park. Then trundle up the Cairnwell again, finishing the second round about an hour and a half after the first.

Just the thing to confuse the keeper of the list.

‹bermensch
    I think anyone who has used maps or guidebooks should be disqualified too. It's cheating, isn't it?

Just to make sure, true compleaters should be blindfolded for the entire duration of their round, just to make sure they're not following anyone!

Best idea I think is for this person to start their own list, and confine it to people who have not used guides, then exclude people who are already dead, those that are too young, anyone of the opposite gender, people from a different hometown, or a different name, eye colour, height, or DNA.

According to the Daily Mail (in turn from the tgo webite):

?Findlay Swinton wants to form a new group called ?Genuine Munroists? claiming that only a minority of hillwalkers have actually climbed all the Munros under their own steam.?These are people who have led or soloed all the Cuillin tops. Being dragged 80ft up the Inaccessible Pinnacle on Skye, then lowered off by a professional guide or a friendly rock climber, surely doesn?t count as a genuine ascent,? he said?.Anyone like me who has spent a lifetime climbing or scrambling should have acquired at least some rudimentary skills for their own safety?

Would this be the same Findlay Swanton who had a letter published in the last Angry Corrie (TAC 68), published a couple of months ago -

The letter proposed:
    ?a new, more exclusive category of Munroists should be established. [...] Genuine Munroist [...]bestowed on the minority who have climbed all 284 summits under their own steam. ie those who have led or soloed all the Cuillin tops. Being dragged up the In Pinn then lowered off by a professional guide or a friendly rock climber surely doesn't count as a genuine ascent. Anyone who has spent years, or a lifetime, hillwalking should have acquired at least some rudimentary skills in climbing or scrambling for their own safety if not for the safety of others.?

Terrible thing plagiarism.

Mini Goon
    Yes, Alove Supreme. my name is on the list, at No 913, and no, I haven't asked for it to be taken off. As I said in my posting, I'm fairly ambivalent about the list, but if people take it so seriously that they start making up rules on Munro-bagging then perhaps it is time to draw a line under it.
    However, the suggestion that people who are guided up hills don't make a true ascent didn't come from the Daily Mail reporters - the suggestion came from a member of the Munro Society - the DM was only reporting it.

For a gunuine ascent as Findlay Swanton mentions, what about starting the walk at sea level for each individual Munro?

Which sea level?

Surely it would have to be the low tide mark, or it would be chaeting?

‹bermensch
    Cameron - sure, but to kind of repeat my question, did you climb them to get your name on a list? Who are these other people you allude to who do?

What's wrong with being listed as a basic 'reward' for the achievement? I think it's nice, and a fun thing to aim towards. It's a very British thing.

Mini Goon
    A Love Supreme,
    No, I didn't climb the Munros to get my name on a list. There were plenty of other motivations for climbing the hills but since I did take the trouble to send my details on completion to the Clerk of the Munros List it was obviously important enough to me at the time. I admit it did give me a buzz to be included in the same list as so many historical greats of the Scottish mountaineering world. Incidentally, I didn't inform the Clerk of the List after I completed a second round in 1996 - I guess the novelty had worn off by then.

Curiously, I do know hillwalkers who are climbing the Munros with the primary motivation, so they say, of getting their name on the list of Compleaters. Now whether they admit to that tongue-in-cheek I don't know, but if it did come to the stage where those who wanted to get their name on this list had to climb the Munros following certain rules and regulations, then I think that would be the time to close it.

Actually, I half agree with the wise and venerable (Prof) Findlay Swinton.

But I don't think he takes his arguement nearly far enough. You see, in my view, there isn't a single Genuine Munroist out there.

After all, haven't all munroists used maps that someone else researched and produced? Haven't they all followed paths trodden by other feet, and worn boots someone else cobbled together, and clothes someone else tailored? Haven't they all entered into discourse on munros with someone else, at some time or another?

A Genuine Munroist would have no prior knowledge of any route, not from printed map, book, or from word of mouth. A Genuine Munroist would religiously avoid all established paths. A Genuine Munroist would only climb with equipment they'd created themselves... or they'd climb naked. And a Genuine Munroist would never climb in company; in fact they'd never even mention munros in company, lest they learn some useful snippet of information on a summit not yet visited.

Oh, and naturally, a Genuine Munroist would never become concerned with names on mere lists. A Genuine Munroist would climb for Him or Herself, and realise that what others do doesn't matter in the slightest.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Of course, it's essential to touch the highest point on the Munro, be it a cairn, rock, or trig point. Otherwise you can't count it as 'bagged'...

‹bermensch
    So Cameron, did you climb your second round (noting of course that you must have kept a list in order to do so), in order not to get your name on the list?

Perhaps there should be a list of people whose names aren't on lists. But then .. would it exist? Would they?

No need. Munroist no 284 covers all the "no-names" for whatever reason. So, if you've done them all and decided not to submit your name, you're still listed!!

Were Hillary and Tenzing "fakes" on Everest because Shipton, the Swiss in '52, and Bourdillon and Evans the day before worked out most of the route for them?

What would the Mail have to say about people falling off the Inn Pin because they didn't want to be guided and classed as fakes? I can see the headlines "Irresponsible" "Fools" etc along with a call to make people pay for rescue.

Mini Goon
    Absolutely. By that time I was definitely a non-listed person, or should that be a de-listed person. There isn't, as far as I know, an actual list of non-listed persons - would you like to start one? There is a space left on the list for the Unknown Munroist at No 276 - the honorary number on the list for non-listed types. This is an amazing list - it caters for all types. Maybe it is worth climbing all the Munros to get on it, or not, as is your fancy... But you can only not get on it if you climbed the In Pinn without help... and here's another criticism of Munro-baggers - how many of them have only climbed the InPinn as far as the abseil point? I don't know anyone who has climbed the remaining few feet to the actual topmost point on the InPinn. Put that on your list and smoke it... And for that matter how many Munro baggers actually climb to the topmost point on each summit cairn?

Ahhhh, but Cameron there shouldn't be any cairns there anyway ;-)

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    "The Daily Mail" do we really need to say anymore!!

If you've climbed to the highest point of a mountain then you've bagged it no matter wether you were dragged guided or however.

To do the Munros and then be told you r a fake is a load of nonesense. I'd like to see if the Daily Mail writer could have done the deed?

While munro baggery is clearly a artificial piece of nonsense, I found that the last few dozen peaks of my round took me to places I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with and had fun when I went there.

Finishing the Munros was an excuse for a party, but more important, finishing was an anticlimax. The important thing was doing what I did before I finished.

Having said that, my name is on the list, unlike that of one of my friends who would have been in the first hundred if he'd bothered/wanted to send his name in.

Whether you reach one little stone or another is irrelevant (though I did actually touch the uttermost tip of the In Pinn with outstretched fingertip, I didn't stand on it).