Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Munro-baggers fakes?

Mini Goon
    A report in the Daily Mail this week suggests that the majority of those who have climbed all the Munros are fakes. A member of the Munro Society has suggested that you shouldn't claim to have climbed a Munro if you have been guided up there, or "dragged up" the likes of the In Pinn. There's a report on the story on the TGO website but I wonder what others think of this suggestion? Can you claim to have climbed a mountain, a Munro or otherwise, if you have been guided up it?

Define "guided". I was in the Ben Lawers ridge last weekend with a bunch of mates but one person did the map-reading / compass checking but the rest of us did carry maps and referred to them as it was very misty. It would have been silly for us all to do it times six. Were we guided? Or does that only apply to a person who pays a guide and doesn't carry a map?

What a weird idea - but then it's the Daily Mail.

So how many folk have actually "bagged" Everest then - and was Hillary guiding or being guided?

Are you worried, Cameron?

but not as fake as that beard John Manning wore in those PCT piccies they had in TGO awhile back.

Initiate
    What snobbish rubbish. I don't see the harm in being guided. If I did the cuillin, I'd want a guide and I'd be mighty annoyed if someone suggested this was 'cheating'. Its not cheating, its knowing your limitations and being safe. You've still used your legs to get up there.

More people could do with some guiding, that way they wouldn't do stupid things like get stuck up mountains wearing only a t-shirt and have to call mountain rescue.

This is a prime example of the kind of stuff that happens when people get obsessive over lists and dislike people joining their 'elite club'.

Really who cares, isn't it the journey that counts?

Mini Goon
    Well said SuperKat and I'm inclined to agree with you regarding lists. And no, I'm not too worried Jim. I first climbed the InPinn as a schoolboy, with an instructor, and there was no way anyone would convince me I hadn't climbed the mountain. Likewise, more recently I "guided" a group of Munro-baggers up the InPinn and I wouldn't for a moment suggest any of them had anything other than a legitimate ascent.

It's a curious notion though, and I was really wondering if any Om'ers agreed with it? And it really does throw up the whole question of climbing hills "to have your name on a list." Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

I'm not too fussy either way, but as a magazine editor I'm interested in what you all think. Oh, and by the way, with about 4000 people on the Compleater list it's hardly an "elite club" any more

I feel like a fraud now - the Ben is one of my ticked Munros but I was dragged up as a child by my parents. Maybe I need to un-tick it now....grumble, grumble...

Stuff and nonsense. Balderdash. Piffle. If that is the attitude being taken, then there are few achievements that humans have undertaken that have not been on the shoulder of giants.

> Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

Good idea.

"> Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

Good idea."

Seconded.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Good grief. They're just hills. If you've got to the top under your own steam, then you've climbed it, IMHO, regardless of whether someone 'showed you the way' (i.e. guided you). If you needed a 'friendly climber' to help you with the In Pin, then so be it; it's the only Munro I can recall that needs actual climbing, rather than scrambling. Why should you have to learn climbing just to tick your last tick on what is otherwise largely a list of walks?

Sorry, but the whole thing smacks of the rather sad, anal, list-ticking mentality that pervades certain areas of mountaineering and climbing.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Oh, I see Superkat types faster than I do...

Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

Only if they wait until next summer.

By which time I'll have obtained my remaining 3 ticks.

""> Is it time, perhaps, that the Scottish Mountaineering Club drew a line under the Compleaters List and closed it?

Good idea."

Seconded."

Aye, well, slow down there lads...

Can we not wait until after I've finished my round? ;o)

lol... similar thoughts druidh

‹bermensch
    Who climbs hills "to have their name on a list"?

Is yours on it McNeish?

Have you asked for it to be taken off?

Here's an even more radical idea.

The SMC should stop tinkering with Sir Hugh's original list of hills and should bite the bullet and reclassify the Munros based on Corbetts 500 feet drop all round rule.

If I'd climbed all the Munro's, then yes I would like my name on the Completers list.

That's not why I climb Munro's though.

‹bermensch
    I don't want my name on any list that lets people like me put their names on it.