Thread: Hole punching laminated maps?

Übermensch tdave@walkeryri.org.uk's Avatar
    I like to thread my compass lanyard through a hole on the punched wallet puches that i used to keep my printed maps in. However, i've now been converted to the use of A4 laminated maps, after finding out you cannot use a compass on a floppy printout to navigate in strong winds!

What i'd like to know, if i holepunch the corner of the map to put my compass in there, how should i 'proof the hole to stop water seeping in? Obviously looking for least hassle solution here. Ideally something that dries quickly, is easily available (ideally, household!) and is cheap.

Would clear nail varnish work, or would this crack?

The following solution only works if you're laminating your own maps...

First, you need to punch a big hole in the paper, then laminate it as usual, then punch a smaller hole through the laminate, well inside the hole in the paper, and no water will be able to seep through.

If you're buying in ready-laminated maps, then the above solution doesn't work.

Thanks! A nice and simple soluition (exactly what i'm looking for).

I've just finished laminating a couple of maps ready for tuesday, so i'll have to use your solution next time.

p.s. dont know why this in soapbox? Might be worth moving to gear? Or not, as the case may be.

Ultra King
    Just trim your maps to make them a little smaller (~½cm) on one side thus leaving a border of paper free, clear laminated plastic. Punch a hole through that border and Bob's your uncle.
    If you can get a cheap eyeletting tool with eyelets from a pound shop it may be worth putting in an eyelet too for the sake of durability.

Like that idea too, would work spot on if i cut a small corner off the A4 map, there's ususally a copyright notice there that i can do without.

"Just trim your maps to make them a little smaller"

...and don't walk too near the edge!
    ;-)

Good advice there, Matt - but it might be fun to explore the pot-hole he's about to punch in the corner of his new laminated map.

If you can't avoid having paper exposed by a punched hole - that Nik Wax map proofer works really well.

Works on Aqua 3 maps that split on the fold too. Without it the water ingresses and ruins the map. With it, it seems to stop it dead in its tracks.

It's not cheap at £3.99 a bottle but I've had mine for twelve years /past/ the sell-by date of 1995 and it still works a treat!

i just shove my maps in an A4 reseable bag kindly supplied by the tupperware door to door salesman who leaves a catalogue (in the A4 resealable bag)from time to time in my porch.

Well, as far as the main Eryri mountains go (or the lakes, when i get round to travelling there), i am now sorted as i have the BMC Harvey map. It's plastic and seems indestructable in normal use.

I am now, however, looking for an A3 laminator, cheap, that will do really thin pouches. Anyone know what the thinnest readily available ones are? Most seem to be 150 microns but i'm wondering if there's a more suitable thickness that works in cheapish machines. Ideally i'd like a thickness similar to the Aqua3 maps, but i'm probably going to have to compromise.

Übermensch
    I picked up an A3 laminator in Stationary Box last week, it was the last one in the shop, no box etc, the guy let me have it for £15 and threw in a pack of A3 pouches!

I too am looking for laminating pouches thinner than 150 (2x75) microns. Let me know if you have any luck please.

I'm surprised that you can't take a bearing on a "floppy printout" - after all, people have been taking bearing from paper maps for generations!

The advantage of a "floppy printout" is that it can be folded up into a pocket.

However, I appreciate that normal paper maps aren't exactly the most waterproof things in the world. I therefore suggest that you investigate using an Ortlieb mapcase. These are very flexible (the plastic does not go brittle in the cold), very waterproof, and the soft rubber used gives excellent grip for a compass.

Ask Ian Gallagher about laminated maps ,if it rains hard enough they leak anyway ,hole or not.
    The rain and wind also makes it hard on laminated maps ,the rubber grips on the compass do not grip on the laminate.
    My iffy map case works better ,even if it does look a little naff.

You just need to look here to get a professional assignment writing help! Australian students are welcome too!