Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baggage restrictions - daysacs

I'm off to the Dolomites next week and I'm worried about the amount of kit I can bring with me. Good old RyanAir have limited me to 15kg for the hold and 10kg hand baggage (booked it in Feb). I was going to use my half-filled daysac as hand baggage but it is too big for the new dimensions as i cannot squash it down due to its pre-formed back. My backpacking sac will be full with tents etc., so I can't squash my daysac in there. I obviously need a daysac to do the VF routes.

RyanAir's website says that you can put "oversized" hand luggage in the hold for the standard charge of £5 but I suppose that depends on whether or not there is any room in there.

Basically, I'm worried that if I try to bring my normal daysac and then pay for it to go in the hold they may refuse. I don't want to buy a small bag to bring on board because the current size is roughly 25L and that's too small for a day out on VF routes. Plus I don't have a bag that small either. I'm a bit puzzled really.

Has anyone travelled in the last week and have they had any problems of this nature or am I just worrying for no reason.
    Cheers

I'd be surprised if the hold's full. I would pay the extra up front to put your daysack in the hold, but carry on board as much as you can in a drybag.

This new size restriction is the difference between a carry-on only holiday and not. There's also the added worry of losing the bag or getting stuff nicked.

I'm not aware that the extra dimensions are critical in making a bomb, so hopefully things may go back to normal at at some point.

Mini Goon
    Justin, i did the dollies a few years ago and took a 20ltr pack up vf's, it held all i needed and had to use ie waterproof jacket and trews, wind proof, food and drink and camera, plus guide book.
    harness went in too and zypher.

Lay out what you think you might need for a day on th efloor and try some careful packing/do i really need this thinking.

Bushy

Thanks but a 20L sac is too small for the top end VF routes. They are long and very committing so extra clothes and food are required, just as with any big day out.

Another thing is that I'm quite tall so a small sac will not fit right and just get on my nerves all day.

Mini Goon
    I've taken 2 flights around and out of France this week and it didn't seem that dimensions were a problem, only what they contained. Nothing of cream, liquid, gel etc was allowed in hand luggage. I think it'll be fine with a day sac but if they don't like it, i agree with the previous, that the airline will put it in the hold.

I've got a similar problem - off to Iceland on Saturday and I'm struggling to fit everything in. I'm flying from Heathrow and from what I can see they're still being quite strict so the daysack has been forced into my big pack, and I'm using this silly little brief case as hand luggage. Has anyone flown from Heathrow in the last day or so?

Initiate Looby Loo - i'm BOORED!!!'s Avatar
    so am i allowed my book in the cabin yet or do i have to try and make conversation with the obligatory smelly fat old bloke I inevitably end up sat next to everytime I go anywhere?!

Books are ok again Looby - as long as you haven't hollowed out all the pages and concealed something sharp or liquid inside!
    Of course you could still talk to the smelly fat old bloke - consider it an act of charity!

For clarity here's a link to the current regs on the Dept of Transport website.

I flew out from Manchester on the Saturday immediately after the alert and flew back last Saturday with the new regs in place. No particular problems but a lot more security scannings and hand searches going on at both airports so allow much more time and expect to queue a lot...

To the original question from Justin - is the pre-formed back of your daysac any kind of removable frame? I've flown in the past by putting the frame of my 45 or 50 litre pack into my bigger pack/holdall and then using the scrunched down pack as suitably sized hand-luggage.

I'm not sure about removing the pre-formed back as I've never done it before. A good idea though.
    It's a Macpac Tekapo 35 (size 3) - can I do it?

I don't know the Tekapo 35 specifically but the Macpac website suggests that some models have an HDPE framesheet with alloy stays in the back. If yours does then it's likely to be removable. In most packs I've seen, you'd look at the back of the pack inside the main compartment near the top and there may be a velcroed opening or just a tight fitting overlap of fabric to get at the back panel compartment. If so these can usually be prised open to get at the back panel - it may be a tight fit (deliberately because they don't want the back panel slopping about) but then the panel can be hauled out and you have a much floppier pack for scrunching down to carry-on proportions.

(Give it a look - but I'll get my disclaimer in now if you overdo the force!!

‹bermensch
    According to Sky News larger cabin baggage will be permitted soon. Restrictions on liquids will still continue.

Hi there

We've just got back from holiday (Saturday), flying BA - our 35lt Lowe Alpine packs were too big for handluggage so they got stowed into our 65lt packs to travel in the hold instead but in saying this, in Geneva airport they weren't worried about what size bag you carried on board so I reckon we would have been able to use our 35lts on the return flight back to Heathrow.

Not sure about the Tekapo - if the spines on our L.Alpine packs were flexible I think they would have been okay but they weren't. Heathrow is being super strict about size, saw a few people get told they would have to put theirs in the hold.

Hope this helps a little.

I've got a similar problem. I'm flying to the continent via Ryanair soon and I booked the flight in May when everything was a lot more laid back. Over the years I've become a dab hand at wearing multiple leayers of clothes, cramming my pockets with guidebooks and working out which heavy items would be OK in my hand baggage, so this time I thought I'd make it a hand-baggage only trip. I spent ages weighing my small rucksack and working out how exactly what I needed to pack before booking With Ryanair, and it's important to get it right because as far as I can ascertain, if you book hold baggage when you book the flight it's £2.50 but if you book it afterwards it's £5, or £7 after August 31st; which may sound trivial, but there's a principle at stake!
    Now I have to take the risk that my hand baggage will be refused because of changes to the legislation and then what will happen? My guess is that I'll get stung for £7 and there is nothing I can do about it. If I could roll back time I'd be happier paying the original £2.50, but this doesn't appear to be an option.

As of Tuesday, seems that Heathrow is allowing basically around the 20L size. The problem seems to be the thickness of the bag, rather than height or width, & this woudl be a pain for a pre-formed bag or indeed any "proper" walking 'sack. I had to squeeze it slightly to fit in the slot, but took very little on board anyway. Didn't miss anythign once airborne, but my hold baggage turned up so it didn'tmatter. Most of my normal carry on is "spare" in case of missing bags. I basically took book, microfleece, wallet, earplugs, ticket & passport. What else do you need!?

Hmm, thanks for the info re dimensions. I'll have to experiment with a few different bags I think.

‹bermensch
    At present the hand luggage must fit inside
    45cm x 35cm x 16cm box. This has a volume of 25.2 litres.

Just flown back from Iceland into Heathrow. Whilst they're saying that hand baggage is restricted, they're not actually forcing you to measure it in front of them and quite a few people were walking on with full rucksacks of at least 25-30 litres. They're really only interested in whether or not the bag contains any form of liquid or gel, even lipsticks and lipbalms were confiscated. When are you flying out Alison?

Thursday Hayley. The main thing I'm not sure about now is my headtorch; it's not something I want confiscated. It's a pain about the creams too. I can cope without washing, but without my daily slap of Oil of Olay I'll look like a prune.

‹bermensch
    Alison; your head torch is OK for cabin baggage. Cosmetics must go in your hold baggage.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    I think it would be good for TGO to do an article on what you can and can't take abroad these days? So many people read the mag go abroad.