Thread: Summer bag/quilt/comforter?

Mini Goon

Summer bag/quilt/comforter?

I've got a very warm winter bag and a crappy cheap synthetic summer bag which I'd like to replace. I'm looking at the Cumulus range as my other bag is from them and very good quality and value.

I'm considering:

1. The M350 Comforter: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=54&vid=7 - I like the idea of a big oblong quilt as it could also be useful in family camping as a quilt/blanket and allows one to stick limbs out if overheating. However, it has a rating of Comfort 2c / Limit -4c and if my other Cumulus bag is anything to go by these are pretty accurate bordering on pessimistic so might be too warm for UK summer nights when things fairly often hit like 10C. However would be good in spring and autumn. 560g - pretty lighy

2. The Quilt 250: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=53&vid=7 - rated at 4C/0C so probably about right. But the footbox is permanently joined up to about the hip by the look of it so cannot stick a leg out if warm and can't be spread out as a quilt. 480g and the lightest of the lot.

3. The LiteLine 300 bag: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=61&vid=6 - again 4C/0C rating. A normal bag so zipped all the way down and therefore can be spread out when needed and has a hood if it's colder than expected. at 640g, the heaviest option.

Any thoughts?

Goon

Widdler
    Have you considered the Snugpak Jungle Blanket? Nice and simple synthetic blanket, packs very small (about the same as a nalgene bottle) and has kept me warm down to 10c. I also like the fact that it has a water resistant outer meaning you can do away with the bivi bag if sleeping under a tarp. At £25(ish) It's also very cheap!
    Check out my blog for photos and tales of my outdoor adventures:

www.barneysbimbles.blogspot.co.uk

I've not used the Jungle Blanket but I have the Snugpak Jungle Bag - bit heavier than the Jungle Blanket but has a integral face net & can be fully opened out into a blanket or zipped up and used as a regular rectangular sleeping bag. One of the most useful bits of kit I have. Worth checking out the Snugpak website for specs.
    Last edited by davengf; 10-05-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Noz View Post
    I've got a very warm winter bag and a crappy cheap synthetic summer bag which I'd like to replace. I'm looking at the Cumulus range as my other bag is from them and very good quality and value.

I'm considering:

1. The M350 Comforter: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=54&vid=7 - I like the idea of a big oblong quilt as it could also be useful in family camping as a quilt/blanket and allows one to stick limbs out if overheating. However, it has a rating of Comfort 2c / Limit -4c and if my other Cumulus bag is anything to go by these are pretty accurate bordering on pessimistic so might be too warm for UK summer nights when things fairly often hit like 10C. However would be good in spring and autumn. 560g - pretty lighy

2. The Quilt 250: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=53&vid=7 - rated at 4C/0C so probably about right. But the footbox is permanently joined up to about the hip by the look of it so cannot stick a leg out if warm and can't be spread out as a quilt. 480g and the lightest of the lot.

3. The LiteLine 300 bag: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=61&vid=6 - again 4C/0C rating. A normal bag so zipped all the way down and therefore can be spread out when needed and has a hood if it's colder than expected. at 640g, the heaviest option.

Any thoughts?
    Whether quilts suit, and what sort you need, depends on how big you are (I'm 6'4" w/ a 46" chest) and how restless a sleeper - esp. if a sidesleeper - you are.

My favourite Summer quilt is a PH Designs 'single ultra quilt' (with optional footbag) - this is 400g or so, and because of its adequate 1.46m width & the footbag, it doesn't wander. I am a restless sidesleeper. I bought it in their sale a year or so back at around £200.

For Spring/Autumn I use a custom-made As Tucas 'Sestrals Blanket' - this is both XL & (custom) 1.6m wide, in APEX 200. Fairly heavy at around 1000g - doesn't wander & is gloriously comforting. In APEX 167 it'd do well for Summer use in blighty.

I've owned & used other, more complex & differently dimensioned quilts; but the above two are really fine & worth the expense.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by shoarthing View Post
    Whether quilts suit, and what sort you need, depends on how big you are (I'm 6'4" w/ a 46" chest) and how restless a sleeper - esp. if a sidesleeper - you are.

My favourite Summer quilt is a PH Designs 'single ultra quilt' (with optional footbag) - this is 400g or so, and because of its adequate 1.46m width & the footbag, it doesn't wander. I am a restless sidesleeper. I bought it in their sale a year or so back at around £200.

For Spring/Autumn I use a custom-made As Tucas 'Sestrals Blanket' - this is both XL & (custom) 1.6m wide, in APEX 200. Fairly heavy at around 1000g - doesn't wander & is gloriously comforting. In APEX 167 it'd do well for Summer use in blighty.

I've owned & used other, more complex & differently dimensioned quilts; but the above two are really fine & worth the expense.
    I'm definitely a restless sleeper. I've got a lot of back problems and it hurts when I stay still for too long and so I can't just lay there on my back and drift off. So other than the temp rating, I'm trying to work out if a quilt or comforter will be suitable at all really. Some people say you have to keep readjusting everytime you move (not an option for someone who move every few minutes) but others say they're better than bags.

I'm 5'11 but pretty broad - 44" chest. My other Cumulus bag is quite wide and I can turn in it. I can't do narrow bags.

My sleeping mat is the Exped UL LW which is was the widest I could find and makes things a lot more comfortable. In an ideal world I'd have a quilt which attached to 3 sides of it making it like a quilt at home but with no gaps for drafts. Then I could toss and turn as much as I like. However most of the quilts seem to involve tucking under your body so not sure how that's going to be even as good as a bag.

How do you arrange yours?
    Last edited by Noz; 11-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Barneys Bimbles View Post
    Have you considered the Snugpak Jungle Blanket? Nice and simple synthetic blanket, packs very small (about the same as a nalgene bottle) and has kept me warm down to 10c. I also like the fact that it has a water resistant outer meaning you can do away with the bivi bag if sleeping under a tarp. At £25(ish) It's also very cheap!
    I think 10C is not warm enough cover the rest of the year that my winter bag doesn't. Even some clear summer nights drop to less than that on a hill so not sure about that.
    Last edited by Noz; 11-05-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Noz View Post
    I'm definitely a restless sleeper. I've got a lot of back problems and it hurts when I stay still for too long and so I can't just lay there on my back and drift off. So other than the temp rating, I'm trying to work out if a quilt or comforter will be suitable at all really. Some people say you have to keep readjusting everytime you move (not an option for someone who move every few minutes) but others say they're better than bags.

I'm 5'11 but pretty broad - 44" chest. My other Cumulus bag is quite wide and I can turn in it. I can't do narrow bags.

My sleeping mat is the Exped UL LW which is was the widest I could find and makes things a lot more comfortable. In an ideal world I'd have a quilt which attached to 3 sides of it making it like a quilt at home but with no gaps for drafts. Then I could toss and turn as much as I like. However most of the quilts seem to involve tucking under your body so not sure how that's going to be even as good as a bag.

How do you arrange yours?
    Both the above quilts stay in place because they are relatively wide, with positive location at the feet. This width makes all the difference to usability. I can't be doing with straps and so on - defeats the object.

I used to use 7cm Exped LW downmats, now a JD Gear (Aliexpress) insulated mat of the same dimensions (but 9cm thick) - very comfortable & tolerable weight.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by shoarthing View Post
    Both the above quilts stay in place because they are relatively wide, with positive location at the feet. This width makes all the difference to usability. I can't be doing with straps and so on - defeats the object.

I've been looking at loads of quilts recently because I want to find a solution for couple sleeping and what you two bring up is what I don't understand about quilts. The straps to hold the quilt under your body look really annoying because... (1) they are under your body. Do I want to sleep on straps? (2) If you need straps to make a quilt behave like a mummy bag by being tucked under your body, then apart from not squishing goose down under your body and wasting insulation, it's going to feel pretty much like sleeping in a mummy bag isn't it? so, from a comfort point of view, what's the advantage?

I had the same issue as the OP a while back. Solution I settled on was Alpkit's Cloud Cover down quilt + Snugpak's Jungle Bag. So for warm + dry I use the down quilt on its own, for warm and wet I use the Jungle bag. For spring and autumn where its above 0 C (or going to be only a fraction below) I combine them. Don't use a stuff sack, just throw them in the base of my pack - they compress well (total weight = 1.25 kg (too heavy?). OP didn't mention budget, but since these 2 are cheaper than those linked to in first post, should be okay.

SK.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by clare H View Post
    I've been looking at loads of quilts recently because I want to find a solution for couple sleeping and what you two bring up is what I don't understand about quilts. The straps to hold the quilt under your body look really annoying because... (1) they are under your body. Do I want to sleep on straps? (2) If you need straps to make a quilt behave like a mummy bag by being tucked under your body, then apart from not squishing goose down under your body and wasting insulation, it's going to feel pretty much like sleeping in a mummy bag isn't it? so, from a comfort point of view, what's the advantage?
    I agree. I think those types of quilt are aimed at the superlightweighters who value the cut in weight more than anything. But looking into it, there are quilts where the straps go under the mat just to keep it snug. I dare say this isn't as warm as less of the quilt will be against your skin.

In the end I bought a cheap Chinese AEGISMAX down "envelope" sleeping bag. It's oblong with a zip that means it opens up as a quilt. And it's wide enough to lay over you with plenty to spare so no real need for straps in the summer. I also bought some tarp clips so I can attach elastic cord under the mat. I've tried it indoors to see if it would work and it seems to. My thinking is that in the summer I should be able to just lay under it like a duvet but if I get caught out on a cold night I can use it as a sleeping bag which is bound to be a bit warmer. It's a sewn-through design so not made for winter but from the amount of loft it was I think it will be at least as warm as my cheap synthetic summer bag but about 1/4 of the size and half the weight.

Mini Goon
    I recently bought a climasheild 133 5°c quilt from GramXpert which I am very pleased with.
    575g in size long & extra wide.

Regarding the straps, you can just to up the next and waist closure on mine so you can still wave your arms out.
    I went for a zip up footbox so I can change it to a blanket if I want.

More details on the trek-lite forum

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?t...ar-maker.3289/

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?t...te-quilt.3332/

Have you considered Alpkit's range? Their Cloudcover quilt is perfect for summer nights, it would struggle to stretch in to chillier autumn or spring evenings like some of the warmer bags you suggest, but weighs just 480g and is totally open so you can stick limbs out (though there are draw cords and poppers if you want to give it some structure). At £99 it is a snip and would leave you well set to save up for something to fill that true 3 season role.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover-2017

Übermensch
    You can remove the straps completely and attach very lightweight elastic lengths. I did this on my EE Prodigy quilt.
    I occasionally use mine strapped under the mat and sometimes opened up like a duvet on a bed.
    As Tucas makes great quilts also.