Thread: Stove/utensils/food storage?

Mini Goon
    Awaiting thoughts from the wise...

Alex

Well I'm no big fan of stoves and pans, as I've often said on here. However, I have a cannibalised stove that's the size of a tuna can, and when it's wrapped in half a tea-towel it fits snugly inside a half-pint pan with a lid and folding handle. The entire stove and pan can be held within my cupped hands. If I thought there was a need, the whole lot can be snugly lodged inside a one-pint pan with a cunningly home-adapted snap-on lid and folding handle. No spiky bits... no chance of anything damaging any other kit... and none of it matters if it gets wet, with the possible exception of the half tea-towel.

As for utensils... they're blunt plastic.

Mini Goon
    I'm at the other end of the scale - will carry lots of kit for a comfy night!

So stove is a Trangia 27 with all the trimmings and gas adaptor, have plastic plates and mugs, aluminium kfss cutlery sets, and pondering what food to take. I suppose a tea towel could be a handy thing to have...

Alex

The real function of the tea-towel is to stop the stove clattering around inside the pan - but I do use it to dry the pan too!

Re. kfs sets: The Alpkit Tifoons come with a nylon webbing pouch which has a velcro flap to cover the pointy ends of the utensil. A well-aimed slash with a Stanley-type blade to make a slit in the closed end allows the pouch to accept other bits instead. In just one pouch I can fit two Tifoons and two long-handled titanium spoons from Bob at BPL, with room to spare. It all fits nicely next to my Jetboil PCS (tucked in under the mug's neoprene insulation to prevent rattling) and spare canister in a small stuffsac that used to hold an Outwell pillow. (The PCS also contains a scouring sponge and a microfibre cloth, along with the stove and gas canister currently in use.)

My solution (and I sometimes carry a Trangia):

Teatowel, washing up sponge and MSR folding spatula are stowed inside the trangia in the kettle and resting on top, under the lid.

KFS came in a plastic pouch that stops them harming stuff. All my cooking stuff goes in a carrier bag and has never caused damage so far.

Food in carried in many carrier-bags in a drybag.

My spiky bits go in here:

Beside cutlery it holds a mini can opener, mini whisk, flipper, salt, travel pepper mill, sugar, olive oil, dishsoap. . .

The outside has a mesh pocket for my little pot scrubber sponge so it can air-dry.

Thinking about adding this to my repertoire, but with different spices

Mini Goon