Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a wild camp thank you

Widdler
    did my first proper solo wild camp on tuesday night at a little spot on dartmoor mentioned on the forum - you were all right absolutely brilliant stuff. so thank you to all who are kind enough to offer up the details of some good spots. i'm sure with a little more experience finding spots will become easier but it was a brilliant helping hand on a first trip.
    only problem was my berghaus freeflow 50 which never seemed to feel comfy fuly loaded and had slipping straps !! New rucsac time perhaps

nice one ash - where on the moor you camp. some good spots on the south are glaze brook / left lake. you can park ur motor at wrangaton golf course car park on the sound side of ugborough beacon (if you let them know your car reg and give em a box of chocolates)hop over it and the views are top draw.

you going again?......sorry WHEN you going again?

samski

Ashley,

Packs like the Freeflow and the Osprey Atmos tend to have the load too far away from the back. As the load gets heavier you can feel the load moving away making it quite unstable.

Best wild camping in the UK. Scotland.

The best camping is wild camping. Enjoy yourself.

Solo wild camping is fantastic. I love going with jyc* and friends too, but on your own at your own pace, brilliant.

Hi,

Just want to second the thoughts on solo wild camping, after 17years as a retail manager, a breakdown, hospital and lots of meds i can honestly say being out on kinder or anyplace for that matter is the best kind of prozac going!! Its a rich man that can bottle the feeling of that :-)

Well said, SoulExpress. I've commented to workmates that when the stress people say "imagine a place you were last happy", it doesn't take long. I've even noticed my reaction to the weather has changed - I got caught in a shower the other day. Instead of just reaching for a brolley, I looked at the cloud, judged if it was going to get heavier or not, how long it might last for, and then kept walking in the light short shower. My hair needed a wash anyway, and the rest of my work kit was covered by an overcoat. Life is what you make of it.

Widdler
    thanks to all - i camped near to the start of devonport leat, not that far from two bridges on Dartmoor but it seemed like a million miles from anywhere.
    Not sure when i can escape again - kids work etc
    i think the comment on the pack is right, it felt quite unstable but was fairly full up, mainly with my not that light, but very comfortable coleman viper 2 man tent....

thanks again

Have to say having only ever wild camped once, doing it solo was a bit weird, but only in that I am so used to camping with others that I am not sure it would have been any different if I had been at a site somewhere.
    I think for me it's what ptc mentioned, going at your own pace. I walked 17 miles yesterday carrying over 12kg in my sack just to get me a little more used to carrying heavier loads... also needed a lot of fluids so it was a good excuse.
    Look forward to your next report Ashley, well done..

Ultra King
    I get a thrill just thinking of being out on my own, watching the sunset a brew to my lips and with only the sounds of the hill in my ears.
    Am I one sad human for that?

Macsen,

Then I must be another sad human ;-) nothing is better than the solitude you get from solo wild camping or maybe watching a movie on my ipod while rain is falling on my flysheet and perhaps some music, Radio oh and a good book lol

no mate, you are just one very alive human. It's a near unbeatable experience.

Hi Chris

What did you find weird about solo camping, for me at first it was the thought of being erm....attacked, but once i had talked myself down I guess im safer out in the hills, dales or Peak than at home! Nobody is around to hurt you unless you count the mad sheep up on kinder ;-) It did take a good few times to get use to but its just mind over matter for me.

Ps nothing like running naked after a sheep thats stolen your cooking pot in the wee small hours.

Packs like the Freeflow and the Osprey Atmos tend to have the load too far away from the back. As the load gets heavier you can feel the load moving away making it quite unstable.

Andy, that's an outrageous thing to say to someone who's just starting out and looking for advice! That's your personal impression of the Atmos (I don't know about the Freeflow), but you've reported it as though it's an established fact. It's not.

Ashley - I use the Atmos for backpacking all the time, most recently on a fortnight's trip. I've never had that experience, and in fact I find the Atmos to be the most comfortable pack I've ever used.

Good luck with the wild camping: it's lots of fun!

me at first it was the thought of being erm....attacked

"If you're camping in the wilderness on your own, don't let imagination get the better of you. It's remarkable how similar an owl hooting can sound to a homicidal horny-clawed, hairy, fanged demon from the bowels of Hell about to rip through the canvas and tear your throat out with a gurgling, raspy cackle. Easy mistake. A good tip to avoid the terrors of the night is simply to imagine the pleasant surroundings of your tent in brilliant sunshine, the dark night will hold no satanic secrets." Advice from Muriel Gray's "The First Fifty".

As to real world mugging, etc, thefts have been mentioned recently here, and IIRC, ther has been mention of people (esp women) carrying attack alarms. Though after a day of GORP and dehydrated food, my breath is as deadly as any pepper spray

‹bermensch
    I tend to agree with Andy.
    'Airflow,' 'Freeflow' 'Whateverflow' back systems move your centre of gravity away from your body as well as they significantly reduce the pack capacity in relation to it's bulk.

Have you used an Atmos for backpacking, Glyn?

Soul..
    Yes, me too... being attacked.. gulp... better now than I once was, but being alone up there did get the heart racing a bit. If you remember my report I was camped at Little Hart Crag, which isn't a bad place, except when the sun sets you get come real weird shaddows etc..
    Now is this where I admit to carrying a personal alarm with me at times.. ermmm go on then.. I didn't actually take it with me when I wild camped (weight and all that), but I do take one when I walk with the kids. Wife got it when she did vaulentry work for hospital, it's the size of a very small radio, but when you pull the string and set it off.. man alive.. I figured it could be sat there whilst I dealt with the emergency.. screaching away.

you never know what might be just outside your tent, there i was camping on the banks of the okavango river in namibia and i was awoken by something pushing against my tent and making loud grass munching noises, i was in my sleeping bag thinking i was about to be squashed by a great big hippo, it eventually wandered off...
    ...in the morning it turned out to be a cow

:-\

"you never know what might be just outside your tent..."

How true, and you never know whether to get up and look, or lie still as a stutue pretending you're not there and hoping it goes away! ;-)

On one occasion in Ennerdale I heard rummagings in the tent porch and stuck my head out to be met by a fox, 18 inches away and busily going through the empty packets from my evening meal. After a few seconds it wandered nonchalantly way.

Last year, cycle touring in Spain I'd camped in some rough woodland and in the middle of the night some rustling came from the undergrowth nearby, accompanied at regular intervals by the most blood-curdling snorts and shrieks! It seemed to me it must be at least a large, wild boar or did they still have bears in that part of central Spain? Cursing that it was a cycling trip so I didn't even have a trekking pole or such to hand, I lay absolutely motionless in my tent for what seemed like an eternity, hoping that my breathing didn't sound like an express train - until it gradually moved away and I managed an uneasy sleep...
    ...in the morning, the culprit became clear - a griffon vulture nesting in a nearby outcrop!

Mini Goon
    And i say there is nothing like running naked after a sheep ;o)