Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st wild camp

Well I think most of you will have seen my posts.. so I'll let the web site tell the tale..
    V-G's web site talks about food and how they eat very little.. have to say that at the time I read that it was one of the only things I thought was rubbish... Stands back, takes bow and begs forgiveness.. hardly eat a thing whilst I was there and dragged a 4 pieces of bread up and down those mountains without touching them.. not again...
    Enjoy..
    http://www.harperswalking.co.uk/Walk...edalehorse.htm

Great photies, Chris. Glad you had a good time. I know the area quite well but mostly seem to get there when it's covered in snow - it looks very different all green!

Mini Goon
    Very interesting and inspiring. And you seemed to have enjoyed yourself but how come you were up at 5am?

Nice colour choice on the tent mate.

nice pictures indeed.

drew

Taff, one of the only reasons I wanted to do this was to see the sun come up over the mountains.. quite stunning..
    Yes was enjoyable, but as the posts said last week, don't expect wild camping to be easy and full of laughs.. its hard work lugging it all up mountains.. and so it turned out to be true.. but loved it.
    JJ, it was green Sunday.. saturday is was the misty colour.. I think.. lol

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Looks great mate! I can't wait to get out in a few weeks myself to test my new lightweight tent as I ain't been backpacking for nearly 6 months now! Love hearing and seeing other peoples adventures, really inspiring, thanks.

Mini Goon
    I used to do a lot of Wildcamping. if i awoke at 5am it was because the Sunlight woke me or because I was cold. I remember one morning awaking by the shore of Derwentwater. I had only taken a sleeping bag (no mat) and I was freezing. The red sun was peeping over the mountain (Walla Crag)and the air was so still the lake was like a mirror reflecting the mountains surrounding it. Tits and warblers were flying about their business amongst the trees and on one of the islands herons were calling to each other. Peeping out of my sleeping bag I watched as two deer approached the lake, walked into it, and swam to one of the islands. Wonderful. My travelling companion blissfully slept through it all.

Chris,

all the hard work and effort that you put into dragging yourself and the kg' and kg's of kit 1000's and 1000's of ft asl fades into insignificance when you see the sun setting behind the other mountains, the brightness and clarity of the stars that you see cos there is no pollution haze or sodium light refraction, the quiet and peace.

Obviuosly the above is based on the fact that it's not blowing 50-60mph gusts raining horizontally, or dumping snow quicker than you can clear it but even the raw power of the mountains is as awe inspiring and humbling as the tranquility that it can bring.

God i need to get high!!!!!!

Drew ( who is suffering sea level sickness )

Taff, totally awsome story.. and good as you are at recounting the whole thing, when those with you miss it all, they then expect you to tell them all about it.. mmmm

My only encouter with deer was on a CB radio all night DX in the Forrest of Dean. I fell asleep at some point to be woken by the guy sat in the drivers seat of the car gently shaking my arm with his finger pressed against his lips...
    "Turn around REAL slowly, and look out of you window.. SLOWLY. (eyes bulging).."

12 inches from my window was the head of a stag, fully grown with antlers half the length of the car... breathing steam out of its nostirls looking straight at me... Have to say I have never been as scared of anything in my life, just the sheer size of the thing was so awesome... then it figured out I had woke up and trotted off.

Jamie - I started my web site because other peoples web sites had been a major factor in my starting walking.. I think at times we all need a little encouragement to get us moving... well I do...

Drew - amen.. sea level sickness.. going to write that down.. and unfortunatly didn't get any stars this time.. got the horizontal rain instead.

Now back to the deer.. any one ever wild camped near The Nab? I coud bring the glasses at sit and watch them all night long??

Mini Goon
    The nab What/where is that? I had a look on t'internet and come up with the National Australian Bank! Count me in. I'll bring the balaclavas.. or some stripey tights.

Nice one Chris. Looks like a really good trip. How did you find the tent? Must admit the same one is very near the top of my shopping list.

Interesting to read you comments about food. I thought much the same thing when I read the V-G site. Hmmm, guess you never know what you need until you've tried it once!

David

Taff - The Nab is one of A.W.'s 214 hills, but even according to the 'walkers log books' it should never have been included as it is 'wholly within the Martindale Deer Forest'.
    There is actually no right of way to this hill, but many people jump the wall to get to the summit.. (not something I shall be doing). Where is it.. find patterdale (Ullswater), go directly east from Patterdale.. to the North a little, Place fell, but carry on east, you'll find it.

David - Tent great.. bit fiddly to get the poles into, but thats putting it up as one... will giving it a go next time seperate... and everyone I have talked to since thinks I got a bargain at £130. Did flap a little, but then I think any tent would have in the winds I got.
    http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...GE__2005_.html

RE food, really can't give expert opinion only that I read on Alex's web site about porridge in the morning and how he felt drained if he didnt get it.. well for me I now know its soup! I always take a small flask with me, and no matter what the weather enjoy it when I get to a summit.. Didn't bother this weekend and I am convinced it was a contributary factor to me feeling so shattered Sunday morning.. that and my heavy pack of course...

Planning next over night.. Langdales / High Raise from Grasmere (yes I know it can be done in a day)... just the planning helps my SLS.

well let me know dates for next wild camp chris.

drew

Mini Goon
    ...actually, sorry to be pedantic but there is a permitted & signposted route over to The Nab from Rest Dodd. Went over that way last September.

permitted and signposted routes....isn't that the way everybody else goes?

Glad you had a good trip Chris. Fine pictures, too!

Seems to me that this backpacking thing could become an obsession with you if you are not careful...

Mini Goon
    I meant as opposed to a right of way, if you see what I mean. We're doing our Alfies and didn't want to trespass through the deer park in the dead of night so decided to nip over from Rest Dodd. Anyhow, there's a stile in the wall & a sign from the Martindale deer park allowing access. According to the sign, it's the oldest managed deer herd in England, which was nice.

Sam,
    Sorry, was just recounting what the Log Book said, will certainly take you word for it, but it does say that thoese paths are realy stalkers paths, not walkers paths... but won't argue something I know nothing personally about.

Drew, NP mate.. but I must point out I don't walk too fast when I have a heavy pack.. I mean I ain't a snail.. but I like to rest a little.. cough...
    If I can escape for 2 days again I may give the Coniston circle a try.. not decided yet.. never walked that area at all, so need to make a start.. and Langdale can be done in a day..
    Will email if I get any dates.

Mini Goon
    Hi Chris
    No problem. I think they've probably done it because they know all the pain in the bot Alfie baggers will nip over anyway. We didn't see any deer though..

The whole of The Nab and Rest Dodd are designated access land under the provisions of the CROW act, so you have every right to wander at will there now - there's no need for "permitted" routes. I'm pretty sure though that prior to CROW that wasn't the case so the sign "allowing access" is probably a leftover from those pre-CROW days.