Thread: Connemara NP and MacGillycuddy's Reeks

I'm off to Irelands west coast for a month of backpacking in July.I have all the maps I need covering my areas of exploration, but the OS of Ireland Discovery series seem a little lacking in terms of detail at 1:50000 scale are there any better maps I could use ? I'm more akin to using 1:25000.

Stiv,
    Just done a quick google, have a look at these- /www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Ireland.html
    If you fancy a lively night call in to Westport!! just come back great craic
    Cheers Dave

Or stop off at Doolin and catch the ferry over to the island of Inisheer the following day, absolutely gorgeous place. Lahinch is worth a visit as well, especially if you want a surfing lesson or can already surf.

Thanks for that I never realised that Harvey's made maps of that area, and I do like Harvey maps and at 1:3000 they'll do very nicely. Cheers.

When I first started walking in the Irish hills, including the Reeks, the best maps available were 1/2in to the mile (1/127000 I think they were). That was a challenge on some of those ridges! Even the 50000 series seems like luxury..

Ah - the good ole days of navigating Ireland's mountains with inch to one mile maps! I still have a set of them, stained with blood, sweat and tears, but as each of the 1:50,000 maps came out, I bought them and now have complete coverage of Ireland.

However, the Ordnance Survey of Ireland maps are pretty vague in many respects. They don't show cliffs, screes, bogs, etc.

The new 1:30,000 maps of Connemara and MacGillycuddy's Reeks produced by Harveys give the best possible view of the landscape you could find on any map. The Reeks map includes a very detailed 1:15,000 inset of the summit of Carrauntoohil, showing all the nitty-gritty complexity of cliffs, gullies and no-go descents.

I'm heading for the West of Ireland on Wednesday for a couple of weeks, but I'm afraid Harveys don't yet cover some of the really bleak places I'm heading for, such as the Nephins.

Paddy. Pity there isn't some enterprising map maker like Tim Robinson, the 'map man', who covered Connemara and The Burren.
    I've got the OSi Trail Master software for the Eastern block and I find it not as good as Anquet's UK production.

Tim Robinson's maps incorporate a lot of good detail that you won't get on other maps, but I prefer maps that have contours so that I can see the shape of the ground I'm walking across. While I'm impressed at anyone who can wield a mapping pen, I like a splash of colour on maps!

I had a look at the OSi Trail Master at The Outdoor Show and took away the demo disk. I rate all these mapping programs as toys... interesting to play with... but not much use in the outdoors.

For the time being, Harveys have made the best effort to display the intricacies of the Irish mountain scene, and if they really wanted to make some money out of it, they'd get cracking with a decent map of the Mountains of Mourne!