Thread: Borneo

Mini Goon
    I'm trying to plan a trip to Borneo for 3/4 weeks in Sept.There are some UK based companies who have given me quotes (ranging from £700 - £2000 pp).
    But as we did for our trip to Nepal, I thought I'd rather try to book with a local tour operator in Borneo. Internet searches are good but I just wondered if anyone has been, who did you go with and any recommendations please :-)
    Any help is welcome as I'm fast losing the will.

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Yes, I've been, but not with a tour operator. Only things we used any external help for were:
    Malaysian government helicopter to land us in the jungle (email me for contacts)
    Mountain guide for climbing Kinabalu (not permitted to climb without a guide) arranged at the national park entrance, but you do have to pre-book accommodation on the mountain - again, email for details.

Most activities can be organised from Kota Kinabalu (assume you're in Sabah not Sarawak, and flying into KK?). Local flights are cheap, as is bus travel. Trains exist but are slower than the buses.

One word of caution - any tour groups claiming to take you "deep into the jungle" are lying. They take you on set paths in safe areas and it's adventure-lite rather than real jungle. (I know this because the Captain at the air base told us that as a general rule, tourists aren't allowed to wander off since the government is so protective of the tourist industry, it's not keen on people taking risks. We had to jump through all sorts of hoops).

Another note - if you want to see orang utans close up, go to the sanctuary at Sepilok. However, they are semi-tame and won't act as in the wild. If you want to take a chance that you won't see them, but know that if you DO it will be from a distance but authentic, book a few days at the Rainforest Lodge (fly into Lahad Datu and staff will drive you the 2-3hrs to the lodge).

Anything else, just email me, I don't log on here every day

I went to Borneo on a round the world trip, it wasn't planned in advance, we found ourselves in Kuala Lumpur and got an Air Asia flight, it's the same deal as easyjet etc. I recommend getting a flight to KL and then a £30 flight to either Kota Kinabalu or, if you are going to see to orangutans maybe fly into Sandakan. You can always fly out of KK as it's more convenient from Kinabalu.
    A trip to the Sungai Kinabatangan river is worthwhile, we saw probiscus monkeys a crocodile an orangutan and countless different birds, it's about 2hrs from the Sepilok orangutan sanctuary, someone will collect you and bring you back the next day, we arranged our trip from a Sepilok guest house.
    Feel free to email for any more info.

This is the one and only place I really want to go but at the moment I have no spare moola for such a big trip so I am keeping an eye on posts such as this.

I am looking to go to the Sabah part of Borneo and maybe see some Orangutangs, but most of the trip I would like to be through jungles etc.

Probably will be travelling alone which on a positive note should be very interesting. I have been looking at going with Explore.co.uk but I never used them. My boss recommended them but others have suggested organising the trip into sections. Get a cheaper flight etc.

PS Take in mind any kit you will need to buy, food and money.

A few companies don't mention any food so I guess thats an extra.

Mini Goon
    Cheers for this, I'll keep you posted.
    So far one local eco company looks good, earthfoot.org, they are offering 15 days best of Borneo - Sabah & Sarawak tours (for around £450), but its hard to gauge without recommendations. Peregrine have also some up trumps with a tailor made offerbut more expensive. Guess I'll just have do some some more digging.
    Any tips more then welcome:-)

Here is my beloved guide https://eduessayhelper.org/blog/easy...-list-of-ideas to argumentative paper writing. They have a bunch of interesting topics to discuss too!