Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowdonia walks

I'm planning on a trip to Snowdonia in February (Pen-y-gwryd). Does anyone have any top tips on good trails, things to avoid, nice pubs, etc. Basically any pearls of wisdom for a Snowdonia virgin.
    Thanks in advance.....

Start with a look at these

http://www.snowdonia.org/
    http://www.llanberis.com/

Some nice pubs etc in Betws Y Coed ( Old Oak ?)as well as good outdoor shop.

Hope this helps, its a while since my last visit, as far as hills are concerned these is Snowdon of course which can be a bit of a bun fight, Tryfan is a good ) classic scramble - look out for Adam and Eve and the cannon, lots a sites dedicated to this on the net, use www.google.com to start.

regds

Jeff

Will, if it's not too late, then there is one place you absolutely, totally must go... Pete's Eats, the definitive climbing / walking caff in Llanberis. Great food, big mugs of tea, authentic black dog of despair 'it's aining again' North Wales atmosphere.

If I'm too late, how was it?

thanks guys,
    i am heading up there tonight, yet to check a weather forecast, but hopefully we'll have at least one clear day. so where is pete's eats jon or is it obvious?

The main drag in Llanberis - if you come into town from the Snowdon direction, you go past The Heights Hotel (climbing place) on your right, past Outside and Joe Brown (gear shops) on your left, avoiding the scary chippies and it's on the right hand side, on a corner, looking very obviously like a caff. Great place... Have a great time mate.

There's a feature on the Welsh climbing scene in this month's (US) Climbing magazine. It informs us that Pete's Eats offers "odd food" like "french fry sandwiches" (funny, don't recall seeing those on the menu) and the ever-perplexing "beans on toast".

Ah, Pete's is now an international centre of cooking excellence - soon Le Cuisine Gauloise (or worrever it's called) will be hot snot in So Cal, you mark my words. Loads of climbing themed restaurants with names like Brad's Krabs will be springing up and the French Fry Sandwich will take its rightful place in the panthenon (eh?) of epicurial fame. Oh dear, I can fee a (bad) Friday afternoon news article coming on...

Chip sandwiches? Not even our local Irish pub (the one that serves chips with your cheese and mac) has come up with that idea. On the other hand, I hear rumours about fried Snickers from north of the border so I'm prepared to believe anything about UK cuisine.
    --Mjausson

Aaah, chip sandwiches, my favourite, big in Northern Britain, just the thing after a day in the hills. I've heard about the fried chocolatey things too, but I've never actually seen one - do you think it's just a myth designed to scare us southern softies away from Scotland?

But last week in Aviemore I did manage to get chips with cheese, i.e. served with those thin processed squares. Very melty and delicious!

BTW, next week is National Chip Week, so we should all support this fine industry by eating loads.

Being from Sweden I wouldn't know anything about southern softies.

But I don't mind supporting your drive for more business for UK mortuaries. They're run by very deserving people so we should all die as soon as possible to make things a little smoother for them.
    --Mjausson

Deep-fried battered Mars bars, deep-fried pizza, both infamous Scottish specialities, both, er, well, delicious and both calculated to produce a steady stream of fat kids who will eventually join the Ramblers and clog our footpaths, rather aptly, like cholestrol clogging arteries.

I'm touched that you're so keen on supporting our great British mortuaries Ms. Mjausson, but I suspect that all of us dying asap would actually create a crisis of plague proportions rather than smoothing anything. The Black Death, for example, was a big hassle for mortuaries who ended up just dumping perfectly good cadavers in communal pits. One of the reasons that bubonic plague is now unfashionable in this country.

Oh, that's the reason. I was wondering about that.
    --Mjausson

There are other reasons too. It's hard to find viable out of town locations for plague pits plus the whole thing of driving round shouting 'Bring out your dead' is very Middle Ages. You just can't get the staff these days.

well, it looks like since i actually went away to snowdon this thread has gone slightly off itself.
    anyway, what a weekend. unbelievable conditions for all 3 days (not a cloud in the sky, no wind) meant some blissful walking and scrambling and even a bit of sunburn (in february!!!??).
    unfortunately, i didn't make it to pete's place. the food at the hotel was suitably calorific but they refused my request to deep fry one of the mars bars i saved from our walk.
    i won't say anymore, you can go back to your artery-clogging and black death conversation now....

Oh, we were just passing the time waiting for you to get back with a report. Good to hear that you had a great time. Will there be pictures posted somewhere? Snowdon in sun must be something of a sensation.
    --Mjausson

hmmmm. unfortunately the digital camera got half-inched from the office on wednesday night last week, so i couldn't take any piccies myself. my companions took hundreds of photos between them (the conditions for this were just spectacular).
    i will try to scan some of these in and get them up on the web somehow, i think the shots from the cryb goch edge should be amazing.

I'm looking forward to that. My digicam came back from the Fuji Camera Repair Centre today so you can look forward to more pictures of the less amazing Chilterns in the usual place.
    --Mjausson

Blimey, you copped the best weekend of the year so far Will, you lucky, lucky, er, person. Sounds great, look forward to seeing the piccies. How busy was Crib Goch then? And don't try to tell me it was just you and some rabbits...

Jon

ps: Mjausson, where is the 'usual place' then? Do you have a site we should know about?

It's juvenile dementia. I was going to include this in my post.
    http://members.nbci.com/mjausson/
    It's mostly pictures of the Chilterns with a good dose of the Cotswolds and some more exotic locations thrown in for good measure.
    --Mjausson