Thread: Confidence!

I know this is going to sound silly, but im off for the first time to the lakes on my own for a couple of days away from the rat race probably on monday. im getting the train up and although ive been around the world on my own, ive never camped/walked! i think i just need a confidence boost! any suggestions?

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    You'll be fine camping as soon as you've got the tent up at the site and settled in.
    If you're unsure about walking on your own, stick to less remote areas, plan routes in advance and study them on the map so you know where you're going and you'll have more of an idea if you go wrong. Plan a first walk to be fairly short, maybe just up onto the hills above the campsite to look down on it. If you get there and are happy, go a little further. If not, come down for tea and cakes!
    Whenever I've walked on my own (which I very rarely do) I've always planned short routes especially in the Lakes which I don't know as well as Snowdonia or the Peak.

Widdler
    great place to go for first camp, make sure you read up and plan your hike and camp, wainwrights are very good

Mini Goon
    Do NOT under any circumstances watch Dog Soldiers before you go.

Seriously. Don't )

as an alternative to watching dog soldiers...rent american werewolf in london.....much better sound track!!!!!!!

Drew

Mini Goon
    your confidence will be well boosted if you read up and polish your nav skills a tad before coming up. which area are you going to? plenty of lovely walking without need to get lost cos in many places the paths are difficult to lose! we're a friendly bunch, us who walk up here, i'm sure you'll have a great time.help with routes is abound on this page too.

im going to the NT site at Langdale! know it and love it!

Mini Goon
    lucky you! so you'll be spoilt for choice with walks then.one of the good things about being on your own is the peace that travels with you, i really appreciate it - except that today, whilst i was gazing out into a tranquil landscape, a couple of jets flew beside me.
    you sound like you've been in the lakes plenty anyway so don't stress,just enjoy.